Home Forum Ask A Member OUTBOARDS IN A MOVIE

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    need2fish
    Participant

Where-the-Crawdaddys-Sing-v2-1

My .02/Observations

• The tops appear to be reversed versions of OMC/Yamaha/Merc, but the the gas tank is implied – no room for the fuel tank and the recoil.
      • Overall the tops appear acronistic as compared to the lowers.
      • The Merc one looks pretty authentic for the period of the runabout (mid-to-late 60s). The top appears to be more like a mid-70s 650.
      • If  I were the production company, I’d stick an electric motor under the hood. That would reduce the liability from using gasoline and from actors driving a boat for the first time.
      • I’m sure the chase scene used a gas engine and stand-in.

Slightly off topic, a comment on prop (not propeller) values — I purchased an outboard from the CBS prop master in LA -he confirmed it was used in a Gilligan’s island episode. When I tried to sell it I had zero takers…. it was a 1950 HD 25 spray painted red and white.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by need2fish.
      Shawnyboy
      Participant

The shifter located in the front was a red flag to me as far as vintage goes.

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How about James Bond movie Live and let Die!   They jumped the 115hp Evinrude on a Glastron boat and I think it is still a record distance.

dale

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=James+Bond+boat+jump

need2fish
          Participant

I rescind my comment about the tank. In the dock pic, the motor in the background looks a lot like a Mariner 2.5.

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Only saw it once , but I recall it was Abbott and Costello. After the usual slap stick shenanigans, Costello ends up in the lake hanging on to a running outboard motor. Pulled round and round the pond. I think that that was the closing scene. The film was black & white, likely from late 40’s. I know of no way to search and retrieve such… anyone ever recall seeing this.  I seem to recall the motor was a small open flywheel model.

Joe B

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.