Home Forum Ask A Member Paint supplier advice, please

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

I bought a virtually pristine, near unused ’56 Johnson AD-10 7 1/2hp that evidently got divorced from it’s fuel tank sometime in the last 60-some years. I scrounged a NOS tank top plate with the right style button and I’ve got a couple nice ‘straight’ 4 gallon tanks that will refinish 100% without any ‘mud’. I’m going to refinish one in the correct color and with the correct decals, blah-blah-blah to display with it. I want to shoot it with some sort of good automotive-grade stuff with a gun, not rattle cans, and maybe clear over the decals w/urethane (That’s how I usta’ do Harley tanks….). Reprotint?…NYMarine in Canada?….who’s stuff seems to be the best? I don’t have an original tank that’s nice enough to "scan" for a custom mix at the local auto paint supplier, so unless someone’s got an equivalent formula number from one of the auto supplier like Dupont or Sherwin-Williams, I’m at the mercy of someone that ‘knows’ what the correct mix is.

Looking forward to sniffin’ paint fumes again….

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

chris-p
      Participant

As far as tanks go, either supplier is likely the same as far as colour go? I have used NYMarine paint with success. Never tried Reprotint, wont ship to us in Canada, so cannot comment on his quality.

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

I have used NY Marine paints as well. Excellent matches.
          The spray cans he uses come with two different spray tips, one narrow for small parts, and one with a wide fan spray for larger surfaces.
          Good stuff.

steveh
          Participant

US Member

I have used both with good results. You’ll probably be happy with either one. I’ve not had the same success using the matched-automotive type paints. I have been disappointed with some of those. Beyond that, I choose to support our advertisers and members.

Mumbles
            Participant

These tanks are painted with an automotive base/clear system. The red was matched from some rattle can paint I had and is close enough to the original Gas Tank Red for my liking. OMC ’59 and later tanks were painted Cavalier Red and is more of an orange color the the earlier Gas Tank Red.

Attachments:

twostroke
              Participant

Looks NICE. Got any sort of a formula number for the red you used? Looks dead-on. Did you clear over decals?

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.