Home Forum Ask A Member Piston Ring Sources

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cranehawk
    Participant

I have a 1960 Evinrude litewin 3hp that needs a power head rebuild (compression less than 30lbs). Is there a good source for piston rings? I have only been able to find NOS. It will cost $80 for four rings!

Additionally, what else should I check while the power head is torn down?

Thanks

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

As far as piston rings go I have had great dealings with Hastings Piston rings. They are a very consistent dimensionally.
        Pleasant to deal with on the phone.

If you don’t want to go brand new there are members here that sell NOS rings for less than 80 bucks.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you have checked the cyl head gasket have you ? you can probably get a good used JW for the price of rings !!!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member
            quote cranehawk:

I have a 1960 Evinrude litewin 3hp that needs a power head rebuild (compression less than 30lbs). Is there a good source for piston rings? I have only been able to find NOS. It will cost $80 for four rings!

Additionally, what else should I check while the power head is torn down?

Thanks

Look at the head gasket for a break between the two cylinders. It is fairly common and drops compression to about 30 pounds in both cylinders. It is caused by a slightly warped head, and the slight warpage of the aluminum head can be sanded down by placing wetordry sandpaper on a perfectly flat surface (I use the smooth steel top of my old tablesaw) and working the head across it until it’s straight. New head gasket is Sierra (or NAPA) #18-3841-2.
            Dave

The Boat House
            Participant

$5.00 a ring + 10% shipping.
              Doesn’t check his emails very often and may take
              several try’s to get him to answer the phone.

http://pistonrings.net/

Mumbles
              Participant

P/N 378412. My OMC/BRP dealer used to carry them but now they would probably have to buy them back from Sea-Way in Seattle who bought all of their old stock.

http://www.seawaymarine.com/

Anonymous

I’ve used Otto (Tubs link) with good results.
                  Kirk

mike-stroz
                  Participant

+1 for Otto. They’ve had several unobtainium rings sets I needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.