Home Forum Ask A Member Pivot pin 57 Johnson 35 HP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bck1
    Participant

I am in the middle of getting this motor wor

king. I have got the motor running and now am rebuilding the gearcase. Before I opened it up I noticed that the pivot pin was not completely seated in the skeg. Now that it is apart I have tried to insert the pin and screw it all the way in. No luck it will advance about 1/16th of and inch and no further. I have checked the threads on the pivot pin an run a tap in the skeg. All seems OK there .There is no obvious trauma to either the skeg or the pin {it does not appear to be bent}. A drill bit will travel the depth of the receiving hole in the skeg I am wondering if I should grind a small amount off the pin thinking that it would then seat properly. Any thoughts? Thanks for any input Brian

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I find it highly unlikely the pin is too long. Gotta be some other reason it won’t go all the way in. Of course you used the correct tap into the skeg, right?

bck1
        Participant

I don’t think the pin is too long as it will not go in more than about 1/16th of and inch when marked with a sharpie. The drill bit goes in the entire depth of the hole.The die I used to tap it went in very easily I am at home now away from the unit but I think it was 1/4 by 28 tpi.

phil
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m having trouble understanding: With the gearcase apart, and nothing inside:
            1. the pivot ONLY goes in 1/16th
            or
            2. goes in almost all the way??

If #2, is the seal/o-ring in good shape?

http://www.omc-boats.org
            http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

Could the motor have come with the wrong pin?

Prepare to be boarded!

bck1
              Participant

So when I insert the pin and start to screw it in it will only go in at urn and a bit. The pin engages the receiving hole but than stops and will not advance more. I am afraid to attempt to turn the screw more in case I strip the threads. So only about 1/16th of an inch is in the receiver. Could a PO used the wrong pivot screw or could there be a misalignment of the two

bck1
                Participant

Sorry Buccaneer I just saw your post. Are there different sizes of pins?

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

There are variations of the same pin, all interchangeable as far as I know. The differences are such as gasket vs o-ring—stuff like that.

Mumbles
                    Participant

Try chasing the threads on the pin itself. 1/4 X 28 I believe. Is the pin straight?

bck1
                      Participant

SThanks for all the replies . I did run a tap over the threads on the pivot and they are OK. I also threaded a 1/4 I nut with 28tpi and it goes on easily . I don’t think the pin is bent but will check again. I do have a part motor in the rafters that I think is either a 9.9 or 18 hp from about 1960. Would that pin be the same size?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.