Home Forum Ask A Member Pivot pin 57 Johnson 35 HP

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

I had the same problem on a ’72 Evinrude. When I dismantled the gearcase I noticed the pivot screw had an o-ring and a crush washer on it. Didn’t know why until I went to put it back together and found it wouldn’t seat correctly. Took awhile to figure it out but found out the pin was bent just the smallest bit preventing a proper seat. Don’t know how that happened to begin with but I just installed a replacement pivot pin.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

bck1
      Participant

Thanks for that info. I might try to get a new pin

ede
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Parts book shows p/n 303358 pivot pin. Overall length .981 and the pin portion has a diameter of .185 Measurements from a NOS piece

bck1
          Participant

Thanks I see that on marine engine.com.First iI think I will pull one from one of my parts motors. Can’t get to them until the weekend though.

bck1
            Participant

SoI tried a new pin this weekend and no luck. As I look at the pin I think there is an alignment problem between the two sides of the skeg As the pin goes from the entry side to the receiving hole it does seem to be at and angle. I did try to ground the pin to fit . But no luck. I am wondering if I use my dremel to open up the receiving side a little then I might be able to get the pin to go in. Other than that I am done and do not think the skeg is useable Brian

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Well that is unusual to say the least. I wonder, when you insert it and find it to be at an angle, are you passing it through the shifter fork, or do you have the fork out? Just speculating the fork may be bent and forcing the pin askew (???)

EDIT: Pondering on it a bit more, I’ll bet the guy that worked on it before you came along ran a tap into the hole crooked (cross-threaded it).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by frankr.
                bck1
                Participant

I am only working with the skeg and pivot pin so the shifter fork is not the problem. As for the threads I can’t say. Before I took the gear case apart I did see that the pin was only inserted a short distance (the same distance that it goes in with just the skeg and pin ). So the problem existed prior to disassembly . I was able to easily able to run a 1/4 by 28tpi tap through the skeg with no problem. I think maybe I am beaten. Brian

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

Use a heli coil.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.