Home Forum Ask A Member POLR questions and photos

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

Here are photos of the POLR i got . It has a sticker on it that reads McChord AFB,which is located south of Tacoma ,Wa.It is right next to Fort Lewis (Army) .With the military base realignment that was done a few years ago,It is now called JBLM,Joint Base Lewis McChord as they lumped them into one. It also has a Military inventory # stenciled on the tank. The seller never tried to start it.

Questions: did the POLR come with the long tiller option also ,like the PO-15 you will see in the next post? I kinda like the long tiller.

I have a US Govt military service manual for the POLR. It shows photos of the rope start procedures, with a rope that wouldn’t wrap completely around the pulley. If i was the one to get assigned to start that baby, i would want a longer rope. A friend told me last night that if it backfired,even though it has a compression release, it would hurt your arm, hence the short rope. How long is that rope supposed to be ? Anyone have an original rope with the handle for a photo so i can make a copy?

The steering/grab ring around the motor is brass but is painted green. Is that supposed to be painted? Does anyone have the paint code for the Olive Drab. This is an Air Force motor. It is pretty dark green.Were USN motors battleship grey?

As for the year made, the serial # is 466415 .there is a small short raised pad on the flywheel that has a 1S7 stamped on it. The PO-15’s i have ,have nothing on that pad. Is there any list made that has a serial # /year built ?
      About now many members have these POLR’s ? I would like to talk with one (or more)of them?
      For now thats all the questions that come to mind. Thanks ,Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member

Hi Jim, I have a POLR, and have ran it a few times.. They were painted olive drab green all over, including the brass carry ring/handle.
        The starter rope should be short, and only long enough to wrap around the flywheel once, with a little extra for you to comfortably grab the wooden grip with. That’s all the starter rope you need for a PO.
        All the tillers on the military motors were short ones… at least all that I’ve seen. You can certainly use the longer version if you want to, and I would recommend it. I’ts much safer.
        FYI, if you run that motor on say, a fishing boat of some kind, after it planes out it will want to turn the boat over. They are an extra long shaft made for work for the military. I plan on putting my complete dressed POLR15 powerhead on a standard PO tower and gearcase, paint it all olive drab and run it that way. Hope that helps!

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

Forgot to mention, I used olive drab paint for a Jon boat to do mine. It looks pretty close to original. Nothing to polish on these motors, or decals either….. if you get a scratch or scrape, just touch it up with some paint!

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

Jerry-thanks for the info. PM sent soon.
            Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

Mumbles
            Participant

If they had too much bling on them, the bad guys would be able to find you easier!

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant
                quote Mumbles:

If they had too much bling on them, the bad guys would be able to find you easier!

Bling wasn’t a word yet in WW2 Mumbles. Do you know if the Canadian military used these POLR’s also?

Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

I’m sure the POLR is an acronym for something.Like PO motor Long Reach, or something like that.I don’t think my US military tech manual has a definition of that ,i will look though.

Robbie Robertson

david-bartlett
                  Participant

"R" for Reversing?

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Model P – O apposed – L long shaft – R reversing. . . 😉

PugetSoundBoater
                      Participant
                        quote Garry in Tampa:

Model P – O apposed – L long shaft – R reversing. . . 😉

Garry the code breaker has spoken. 🙂 Thanks for the info.

Robbie Robertson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.