Home Forum Ask A Member Power head assembly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    genetoo
    Participant

A nice member talked me into rebuilding my power head myself so that,s what I,m doing. I already have some questions.

As far as fitting rings there is what they call measuring the( ring gap )before application of the new rings. process requires one to slip the ring by itself in the cyl bore about 1 inch and measures the ring gap with a mike. My question .Is there a set measurement /tolerance for the ring gap for a outboard?

I had a old Cushman motorscooter years ago that was rebuilt ,ring gap was never checked and when it got hot it would start to seize up.

Motor in question is a Johnson TN 28 5 hp

Gene

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Actually, measured with feeler gauges. Specs vary, but I believe it is 0.005″ min 0.015″ max. on the 5hp. Greatest cylinder wear generally is in the ports area. There is more to be concerned about than just ring gap. Side clearance in the rings, piston skirt clearance, etc.

My restored Cushman would start to seize at high speeds also. I finally figured out it was because I made it pretty with a nice coat of black paint on the cast iron cylinder fins.

Mumbles
        Participant

End gap should be measured at several different spots in a used cylinder to allow for wear and the end gap set at the tightest spot.

TD-TN-Rings

The Boat House
          Participant

1 user thanked author for this post.
            cajuncook1
            Participant

Johnson-TN-specifications

genetoo
              Participant

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST !!!!! Gene in Farmington, Mn

cajuncook1
                Participant

PM (private message) your email address.

Cajuncook1

cajuncook1
                  Participant

Gene, were you able to receive the email I sent and the download link?

Cajun

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.