Home Forum Ask A Member Pressure tank leaking at primer button

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    steveh
    Participant

US Member

My pressure tank has started leaking at the primer button. It’s the older style tank with the big aluminum button. What are the part numbers to fix this?

Thanks,

Steve.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

You need to take it apart and inspect it. Could be a holed diaphragm or a corroded end on the push rod or distorted supports or just a loose nut. Or all of the above.

Steve D
        Participant
          Doug Wilson
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

from what I got into with my tank would suggest getting the rebuild kit and go through the whole thing. the problem is probably the diaphragm but better off to do the whole thing and be set for many years.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
            turned off?

aquasonic
            Participant

US Member

quote ddwilson:

from what I got into with my tank would suggest getting the rebuild kit and go through the whole thing. the problem is probably the diaphragm but better off to do the whole thing and be set for many years.

I’ll second that. While you have it apart you might as well do a complete cleaning and rebuild. Unless you have replaced the fuel tank gasket, it will likely crumble when you remove the top. Also, you can refinish or replace the float, and give the fuel tank foot valve assembly a good cleaning.

steveh
              Participant

US Member

Thanks for the help guys. I did rebuild the thing a year ago. I actually had the thing apart yesterday morning to check the fuel screen and everything looked to be in good order. Except that when I put it on the motor, it started leaking from the primer button. Hopefully it is something simple.

steveh
                Participant

US Member

Is there a part number for the rebuild kit?

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

A tidbit of info on that system: The knob is supposed to rotate freely on the push rod. If it is corroded and stuck, pushing on it tends to unscrew the rod from the nut on the bottom, resulting in a leak. You might try just turning it back in. You might get lucky. But of course the real solution is to free up and lubricate the knob so it doesn’t turn the rod.

steveh
                    Participant

US Member

Thanks, Frank. The knob rotated freely. The nut was tight. However, there was some gunk on the push rod, so perhaps that opened up the diaphragm a bit. I’ve got another on order.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

The end on the push rod where it sits on the upper diaphragm support has to be square and true to form a seal between the rod and diaphragm support. A dab of fuel proof gasket sealer there doesn’t hurt either. If any of that leaks, gas goes up through the whole assembly, following the threaded portion of the push rod.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.