Home Forum Ask A Member Problem with substituting OMC coils in an antique

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member
      quote George Emmanuel:

Jim and Joe,

Steve Wood called me and said basically what Joe said about how the coils face each other. Yes, both coils were purchased together and appeared to be identical, but what I can say is it was interesting that out of the 4 lugs on the primary, one was smaller than the other three, which I guess is Chinese quality.

Curiosity has always been my driving force and it has made up for a lot of ignorance! This was a fun project. The reason I could not have the coils facing the same direction was due to the location of the plug wire terminal. If I had them both in the same direction the cam would rub on the plug wire terminal on the coil.

Thanks for sharing knowledge!

George

I had the same issue with my Mastertwin Eiseman conversion, I had to remove and route one plug wire in a way I did not want to, but I had to in order for the conversion to work. I got my info from Jim Moffatt, he is a smart cookie 🙂

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

george-emmanuel
      Participant

US Member

I now see the difference in the two types of coils; single cylinder firing vs two cylinder firing. I had assumed that what was on the inside of the 2 cylinder coil was 2 separate coils, but now the difference has been explained. As I said, I’m ignorant on electrical currents, but after this tutorial I have learned a lot! Thanks everyone!

George

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I’m not sure what magneto this is, but it’s a photo showing the use
          of OMC coils piggy backed together. Not sure to credit for this, as
          I found it on the Internet some time back.

http://grayhitandmiss.com/Outboards/coil_conversion.jpg

Prepare to be boarded!

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

My conversion looked like this as a proto, only difference from fully functional is I replaced the ugly coils with new ones..and straightened the wiring up to look purdy: oh and after looking at this, I now remember I had to point the high tension leads down to route the plug wires..

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

The Boat House
            Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
              • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
              Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Seems like I found your video and photo of the conversion back when I was
                working on the Neptune twin with the Eisemann magneto. I bought an
                Ebay coil that the owner said "tested bad". I was hoping maybe "half" of
                the coil would be good and half of my original coil would be good, but
                I lucked out and the Ebay coil was good after all.

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
                Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.