Home Forum Ask A Member Pulling flywheel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Black
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have always had a bit of a problem pulling flywheels was using the harbor freight Puller so as per members advise I bought the OEM flywheel puller it is now attached to a 25 horse flywheel I think about a 1972 I don’t have the pictures on my iPad. It has been under pressure now for two weeks tightening tapping adding penetrant heat the fly will will not pop loose any suggestions besides dynamite.

Mumbles
      Participant

First I’d put the flywheel nut back on by at least a couple threads to prevent the flywheel from flying across the room when it does come off!  Then, tighten the centre bolt really tight and strike it a hard sharp blow with a two pound hammer while lifting up on the flywheel at the same time. Lifting on the flywheel allows it to absorb the shock without damaging any crank bearings or anything inside the motor. You might need an extra hand to do the lifting but it should pop loose.

Others, including myself, have just used an impact wrench on the pullers centre bolt with good results.  A strap wrench comes in really handy here while loosening or tightening a flywheel to.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You don’t need to be dainty with an OMC puller. Use the supplied handle to hold the puller body and turn the bolt with a 7/8″ socket and half inch breaker bar, one that is two feet long, or longer. Give it to ‘er. A ’72 25 hp wheel should come off without too much of a fight.

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, the supplied bar with the OMC puller is a big help for sure.  Like Bill says, use a long 1/2″ breaker bar with a good socket along with safety glasses.  And like Mumbles says, oftentimes using a nice big impact gun will get the job done as well.

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have removed a number of flywheels. Some are routine and some are stubborn. Recently 3hp OMC flywheel  (pot metal) just would not release despite all the tricks I knew.

Went to online video removing flywheel on an OMC. Shop mechanic showed how it was done in a time is money situation, He attache flywheel puller, applied tension with screw and WHACKED on opposite edges of flywheel.  BINGO! Flywheel was unstuck just like that . I did the same  on my sticky flywheel with same instant results. It appears to me this method rocks the flywheel slightly…I also believe it may be easily overdone, especially with a pot metal flywheel. I tried it. It works.

Louis

bobw
              Participant

I have also had a few stubborn ones that came off easily with the puller under good tension and pulling up on one side of the flywheel while applying a few raps at the opposite side of the flywheel with a dead blow hammer.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
                Participant

I only had one that I had to cut off, of a 40 hp Gale.
                  Turned out that the flywheel key was terribly buggered up,
                  acting like a wedge I presume.

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
                  Participant

Advice given on the Facebook group is to apply some mercurochrome to the taper to help loosen it and it is supposed to work. Melted wax, yes, but mercurochrome?

Mumbles
                    Participant

I only had one that I had to cut off, of a 40 hp Gale.
                      Turned out that the flywheel key was terribly buggered up,
                      acting like a wedge I presume.

Had the same problem with a 55 Chrysler years ago. The flywheel sheared the key and while it was spinning on the crank, it cut deep grooves into both pieces effectively locking them both together. The only way to get the flywheel off was by cutting it with a torch.

The Boat House
                      Participant
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.