Home Forum Ask A Member QD-16 PROP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BAYER
    Participant

What was the standard prop size and pitch on a Johnson QD- 16 OUTBOARD??

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think the standard prop was a 9×8. I have several 50th QD and on my 14 foot tinie the 9×8 works pretty good. I know others will comment about bigger pitch. I usually have two tanks of gas and a spare motor, just in case in my boat. Point being the heaver your outfit the less pitch you need. I have several 15hp props and I have tried them on the QD’s and lost some speed. The big pitch props will make the motor seam sluggish. 15/18hp are usually 9/10 or maybe a little more.

In my humble opinion a 9×8 or a 9×9 is probably what came with the motor.

dale

get’em wet!….don’t let’em set!

Mumbles
        Participant

The book says, QD 10 thru 18 P/N 277595 Aluminum three blade 9 X 8. I don’t know if that is the weedless design or not which was common on these motors.

A QD prop can quickly be identified by looking at the blades. They are about 2/3 the length of the hub while FD props will have full length blades along the hub. Al least that is what I’ve noticed.

QD-Prop

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
          oldlure
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Membership has access to the “Inner Sanctum” which has all the Michigan Wheel (prop) catalogs.
            Here is a copy of 1955 catalog for the QD

Michigan

BAYER
            Participant

Thanks for all the good info…..Greatly appreciate it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.