Home Forum Ask A Member QD-20 questions

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

The very first tanks had a ring around the top for hose storage. It quickly became apparent that despite drains in the ends, dirt and moisture still promoted corrosion. The next tanks (1951) had the rings removed and the stamped "ears" added. . . 😉

amuller
      Participant

Thanks. The Marineengine.com detail parts listings stop around 1957.

It’s interesting that OMC found it cost-effective to produce such complicated, high-parts-count tanks. Do modern fuels eat the diaphragms?

amuller
        Participant

Do these motors have needles on the rod small end? And what about the center main bearing? It’s not obvious from the info I have.

chris-p
          Participant

The QD lineup eventually got needles on the small end of the rod. Yours does not. The center main also does not have needles bearings. That is why you run these on 24:1, never 50:1 as sometimes suggested on here.

You can upgrade to needles on the earlier pre 1961 QDS though, I do it all the time when I rebuild a powerhead. The 1963 set is the best set to use as the rod was beefed up through the years as well. You have to pretty much swap everything though.

chris-p
            Participant

…and yes the original diaphragms need to be swapped out if they are original!

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.