Home Forum Ask A Member Question for you OMC experts

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member
      quote Theodore:

Can’t you fit the later stainless plate, or plate and cover, to the earlier engines?

No, different shape. In fact the flow pattern is actually different on the 6hps with thermostat.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
        quote reivertom:

Sounds like it must be a usual occurrence and not from misuse or neglect. I knew I had not seen it on every motor…..even some with a lot of use, it makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

Yes, like everyone says, totally normal and expected on this vintage of 5.5hps.
        How much do they want for this "pristine" engine? Needless to say, treat it like any other purchase, do the compression test and ask to crack the gear lube drain screw to check for water/gear lube condition. I surely would expect/plan on doing ignition fuel system overhaul, along with impeller replacement regardless of owner claims (unless they can document recent service work) and price paid.
        I guess deal killers on this type of purchase for me would be major cosmetic/decal/emblem flaws or repaint. Examine all castings closely to make sure nothing is bent/cracked. Make sure the engine cover opens/closes properly and fits together/aligns properly.
        The other thing I would do is a little devious. Ask the owner if he has run the engine and what the ratio of fuel/oil is…Needless to say, you need to worry if he says 50:1, regardless of compression.

Mumbles
        Participant
          quote Theodore:

Can’t you fit the later stainless plate, or plate and cover, to the earlier engines?

You can fit the plate but not the cover.

If you are painting a motor and don’t want the paint to scorch, the plate can be installed to protect the paint. The top right corner of it has to be trimmed away though to match the earlier motors. ☺

Attachments:

theodore
          Participant

That’s exactly what I wanted to do. I bought a plate from the auction site a while back, hoping it was possible.

1946zephyr
            Participant

It wasn’t one of mine, I would have let you know that. I actually had a member send me an idea and drawing for those, but never persued production.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.