Home Forum Ask A Member ?????? Question Johnson QD-16

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Ok over in the projects section I’m attempting to get my 1st antique (vintage) motor going. Seems questions get answered quicker here. Long story short took it out for test run and it started but wasn’t pumping water. Brought it back home tore it back down. (Previously replaced the water pump and cleaned exhaust housing of a squirrel nest) so I pulled the head off and cleaned water jackets. Poured water in jackets with cylinder pointing up and water ran out the exhaust housing. Put new head gasket on today and started it in a barrel ….. not pumping. Took lower unit off left shaft in pump , put a drill motor on it, submerged it and it wasn’t pumping. Took back apart and realized my problem (I thought ) seems there is a very tiny pin that spins the impeller , I didn’t know this beforehand. Seems to me this pin should protrude out of the shaft ALL THE TIME but it will push into the shaft and become flush not letting the impeller turn. I assume this is the way it’s designed and centrifugal force keeps it slung out. Put back together and put drill motor on it and submerged it WAAALAAAA. Pumping great. Put lower unit back on lined everything back up shift linkage connected . Started motor and……. no water ….. what the heck??? All I can figure is all the jostling around lining up shaft and copper tube and the little pin fell back in? Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong??

It's a jungle out there.

bobw
      Participant

Sounds like you have the wrong impeller pin or a broken pin. It should seat all the way into the shaft and still have a portion sticking out to engage the impeller. Pin should be about 5/16″ total length.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by bobw.
        tinkerman
        Participant

Thanks , really appreciate that!

It's a jungle out there.

bobw
          Participant

OMC part #300771 if you need a replacement.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

tinkerman
            Participant

Maybe I’ll get this show on the road (water) now ! Thanks for the help guys! I’ll keep you posted

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
              Participant

Well I went to lowes and they sold a 1/16 brass pin (solid not plated) about 4″ long and the diameter was a perfect fit for the impeller pin that goes in the driveshaft. Cut it down to correct length and put everything back together and it’s finally chugging water out the exhaust and not overheating. I rebuilt the carb before all this and it will start and run at high idle but not at low idle yet. With the cooling problem solved at least I can tinker with it now. Thanks for the help.

It's a jungle out there.

frankr
                Participant

Let’s hope that brass pin doesn’t shear off. It should be stainless steel. 1/8″ diameter if I remember right.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

no need to buy a whole SS rod…. cut a 1/8 S.S. bolt to size

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

tinkerman
                    Participant

Maybe it was 1/8″ , it was a perfect fit. Just glad it’s pumping water right now. NOW……. next question it starts fine but will not idle. It’s smoking like crazy, burn your eyes type smoke. Mixed fuel at 24:1. I’m wondering about the throttle cam adjustment. When the cam follower is lined up with the mark on the brass cam the throttle is NOT opening yet. It’s probably 1/2″ past the mark before the throttle moves. If anyone has the service manual adjustment procedure, or knows if it’s on the site somewhere I’d appreciate it. I’ve adjusted the hi/low idle to recommended initial settings. FYI I can manually open throttle and it seems like it smooths out a lot. I know I’m rambling but any help is appreciated

It's a jungle out there.

phil
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You can only really adjust idle after you’ve found the best setting for the high speed needle at wide open throttle.

http://www.omc-boats.org
                        http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 40 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.