Home Forum Ask A Member Rebuild of OMC Universal Magneto Question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    green-thumbs
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

First experience with OMC Universal Magneto is not going well. Coils were cracked and ignition leads stiff. Removed coils and removed magneto from powerhead to access and remove old ignition leads. Installed new leads and coils…The magneto assembly attaching screws can not be accessed with coils in place and the ignition lead hold downs are difficult to release or tighten with magneto assembly mounted to powerhead.

What am I missing.?

Louis

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the retaining plate under the magneto has 4 screw holes which must line up up the 2  long coil bolts and the 2  small base bolts

the  4 holes come as 2 pairs  and must line up with the bolt positions       so what I   do is take  a bamboo skeweer  and poke it down a coil long bolt hole till it fits  (lines up) in  the retaining plate  mating hole

when  that happens all 4 screws (blots) will line up…

if not you  are off-set by one screw hole …. remove the mag plate  and  readjust the retaining   plate holes  under the mag plate to line  up  with the bolt holes

poke the skeweer as before and begin turning  the mag  plate till the skeweer  drops (lines up) with a screw hole..under the coil . retest and all 4  should line up  with the retaining plate.

voilà… bolt it up  careful with the point rub blocks and oiler pad when fitting the mag plate

takes a few tries but  you will succeed

did you download the Johnson manual ???   see  pages 29 and up

Johnson (leeroysramblings.com)

retainer ring is tapered… flat side goes UP                  taper DOWN

for ??? ….the ignition lead hold downs are difficult to release or tighten with magneto assembly mounted to powerhead.

the plug wire hold downs  must be  accessed and tighten while the mag plate if off the power head.   when all is tiddy.. reinstall the mag plate

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by crosbyman.
        green-thumbs
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

More answer than I expected. Will digest and go at it again.

Thank You

Louis

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the red book for members only is under

MEMBERS ONY  tab

INNNER SANCTUM tab  then go to LIBRARY

in LIBRARY…find  GARRY SPENCER’S DROP BOX

in G.S.D.B go all the way down to the RED book

Download and print locally at a print shop where they can bind the 400  pages with a spring binder  ( I did 2 books x 200 pages each ) …lays flat  have them put plastic cover sheets .

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s been said before …. “There are benefits to membership”

Joe B

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Louis what are you doing working on OMC anything?   We know that is not your color outboard!   Some of us also know that you are the man when it comes to preWW2 Mercury’s and Wizards.  Maybe you have a neighbor that needs a favor?  or a rich uncle?  or a lady friend?

Whatever, it is good to hear from you.

dale

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not quite sure just what you are asking…  It is easier to get the new plug leads inserted into the coils first, before clamping the leads under the mag plate.  Temporarily fasten the coils to the mag plate with the new leads installed, then flip the mag plate over and install all the wire clamps/throttle arms etc.  Yes, this is a bit of a wrestling match for sure.  Do be careful fastening the clamps with the mag plate flipped, you don’t want to damage the coils.  You could always just get a few clamps started, the remove the coils again, so you can tighten down all the wiring clamps and arms securely without damaging the coils.

green-thumbs
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am not an expert on Early K Model Kiekhaefers…if anything, I have more experience with them than most…that is to say I have made more mistakes aka learning experiences.

Lightwin picked up at a meet several years ago finally got its turn on work bench. Due to long gap between taking magneto apart and putting it together again it seemed like a good idea to use another Lightwin as a reference. Turns out, it too needed coils and ignition leads renewed. No problem lots of parts on hand. Now that I know the plate is removed by removing screws that secure it to hub much is now clear and understood. Big Thank You

Some years ago, I put up my hand when editor of chapter newsletter refused reappointment. No idea of what an editor’s duties. Even less aware of use of punctuation. As time passed, writing skills may not have gotten better, but, at least became less bad.  When you take on a job doing something entirely out of your experience take a deep breath and grow into it. Once you know what you are doing  work on doing it better. Each of us has undeveloped ability awaiting discovery.

Louis

Mumbles
                    Participant

When working on a mag plate, I like to take a photo of both sides before depopulating it. This way, I have something to fall back on for reference when it comes time to put it back together.

This photo shows the four screws which must be loosened to remove the complete  mag plate. They don’t have to be removed, just loosened, as they are captured and wont fall out of the plate. The only time they have to be removed from the plate is when the coils are going to be replaced.

DSC00009

DSC00008

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
                      • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
                      crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try this one

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.