Home Forum Ask A Member Recoil spring

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tom-c
    Participant

Does anyone have a clue how to install this new spring? It’s an ’85 Johnson 4 HP. I got it without the spring so I don’t know it’s supposed to go in there. The New spring came sans instructions.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You could wind it in there using the plastic pulley….Unwrap the spring, then secure it to the pulley and install the pulley securely into the housing. Yes, I realize it is a mighty steep angle from where the spring comes out from under the pulley up and over the recoil housing. So, I usually leave a few coils of the spring inside the housing to minimize the bending/tension. Now just turn the pulley counterclockwise and the spring will slowly be pulled into the cavity under the pulley…
        The only other thing I didn’t mention is the rope…I don’t remember exactly how the rope is secured in the pulley, but I’m pretty sure it can be threaded into the pulley after the spring is wound into place, I’m thinking you will be replacing the rope as well. If not, simply tape over the pulley where the end of the rope is so it does not get in the way while winding the new spring….
        Sure would have been nice if they left a little hole in the side of the housing where the spring could be threaded through, but am guessing they didn’t think that open hole would look nice cosmetically….Putting a rubber cap over the hole was probably ruled out by the bean counters.

tom-c
        Participant

SUCCESS! Thank you, Don. With your instructions and three small cable ties to hold the spring while I got it started, I was able to do it without a "spring explosion"! 🙂

Steve A W
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tom C wrote " I was able to do it without a "spring explosion"! :-)"
            Where’s the fun in that!
            The last one I did I swear I saw smoke when it unloaded ❗

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
            I live in Northwest Indiana

Mumbles
            Participant

Without a third hand they can get away on you!

Attachments:

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant
                quote Mumbles:

Without a third hand they can get away on you!

Been there done that. Of course you have to lube the spring making it a bigger challenge. Happy Canada Day! 😀

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                  quote Tom C:

SUCCESS! Thank you, Don. With your instructions and three small cable ties to hold the spring while I got it started, I was able to do it without a “spring explosion”! 🙂

Cool, that is a great idea! Use the tie wraps to let the spring unwrap just a little bit…Will remember this for the next time!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.