Home Forum Ask A Member Recommendations for impeller brand

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jimbrizzolara
    Participant

I picked up a 1952 Evinrude Lightwin at a recent wet meet. I see various brands of impellers besides OMC and wonder if it’s worth it to try one out. I did have a bad experience with a Sierra impeller, so I’ve already ruled those out.

Mumbles
      Participant

I’ve been shopping Ebay for cheap ones with free shipping from China and so far they have been working great. If you have lots of motors to do you can get them for a buck or two apiece.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Impeller-277181-434424-Fit-Johnson-Evinrude_60760204100.html

jimbrizzolara
        Participant

Thank you, I’ll check it out.

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

The only bad Sierra impellers I’ve had were for 1970s-2000’s 9.9 and 15 HP Johnsons – they didn’t pump at an idle.

Be sure to lubricate the impeller surfaces before starting the first time – I either smear a small dab of grease on it, or KY-Jelly. The first couple of turns can wreck them if there is any grit in the lines.
            Dave

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I strongly recommend that you spend the extra bucks and buy the OEM impeller from BRP/OMC. This is not something to scrimp on, and there are some horror stories about aftermarket impellers. An impeller that goes bad or doesn’t work properly can damage the engine from an overheat, surely this damage will not be paid/covered under any supposed warranty. Fuel/ignition system aftermarket parts aren’t going to damage the engine if they don’t work properly, but a defective impeller surely will….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.