Home Forum Ask A Member Refurbish OMC Trolling Motor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bayouaux
    Participant

I am looking for someone who can refurbish an OMC trolling motor. I have some replacement parts and old motors that can be used for parts. These motors haven’t been made for almost 20 years since OMC went bankrupt. Thanks!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Bayouaux.
      outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

What part of the country do you live in? Can you be more specific about the motor? HP? Model number? Year? Electric or gas?
        Dave

Bayouaux
        Participant

Hi Dave, I live in Louisiana but can ship if necessary. The motor is an Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) electric trolling motor manufactured in 1996. It is model BF4S which is a model which allows the unit to be switched from 12 V to 24V while in use. There is a toggle switch on the foot pedal to toggle between 12V and 24V. There are 3 speeds giving the motor a total of 6 forward speeds, 3 in 12V and 3 in 24V. As you probably know OMC filled for bankruptcy in 2000. No replacement parts were manufactured after 2000 and no aftermarket parts are available. The parts available at this time come from inventory that existed at the time of bankruptcy.

I have collected various OMC trolling motors to cannibalize for parts if a particular OEM part cannot be located.

I realize that the cost to refurbish would be as much as a new trolling motor but the OMC I’ve had since the mid 90’s has outperformed all of the new trolling motors I’ve tried in the grassy Louisiana freshwater marsh and river lakes I fish. I’ll be 70 soon and if I can get my old faithful OMC trolling motor and a backup motor up to snuff, I feel like this will hold me until I die! I have one motor that only works on 24V and not 12V that probably needs a new 12/24 switch. It occasionally “makes noise” so something internal needs to be addressed. I also have another unit that someone tried to fix themselves and never got running. Both have 24S on the skeg identifying them as the high thrust models.

Thank you for any help and guidance in finding someone who likes to work on antique electric trolling motors.

Bayouaux
          Participant

Bump to see if anyone knows source to refurbish trolling motor lower unit. Thanks!

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You might to contact Dan Anderson, a fellow member who lives in Tn….

rmhxruss
              Participant

The OMC trolling motors were very good motors. We have customer that used the lower units as positioning motors on a two man submarine. they never did leak or fail.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.