Home Forum Ask A Member Removal of scale build up in cylinder water jacket

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Monte NZ
    Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Any suggestions please on how to clean out the lime type build up in the cylinder water jacket on my 1991 2.3hp Evinrude which I am restoring?
      I have wondered if there is any solution that can be run through the motor that will dissolve it without causing corrosion.

Thanks in advance Monte NZ

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sorry, I don’t know of any solution that can be run through the engine safely. I guess the only thing that might help is to run the engine in the water long enough to warm it up good, then pull the head off…Perhaps that build up will soften a bit. Do you have the head off now? If not, how do you know the block is full of salt build up?

bobw
        Participant

US Member

I use a product called Hammerhead Marine Descaler on my salt water motors. Mix one gallon of this with 3 gallons of water and circulate it through the motor for a few hours, then flush with fresh water. Works real well and is safe to use on aluminum.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

tried warm/hot vinigar ?? works great in my coffee machine for calcium deposits salt ???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Monte NZ
            Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Thanks Fleetwin,Bob and Crosbyman for your replies.

In reply,I haven’t had the head off, but going on what I have found in the water passages when I took the actual power head off the trunk and what was in the cooling pipe
              I suspect that the water jacket round the cylinder will be pretty caked up too.

We are in lock down again with this darn Carona virus so I’m unable to get parts at present, so was thinking of other methods to clean out the system.
              The more I think about it, removal of the head could be the way to go and just be patient until I can get a new head gasket.

Thanks once again.
              Monte NZ

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.