Home Forum Ask A Member Replace Lower Crank Seal on 1957 Johnson 35HP?

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    The red boat
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

that is extremely helpful.
      I’ve never split the case on one of these motors. Is there anything I should be wary of or any tricks I need to know?

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

You need to take the reed cover off to access the two big 3/8″ hex (allen) head center bolts.
        There’s one small machine bolt in the center of the reed plate that must be removed.
        The two dowel alignment pins in the case “tap out” forward…. toward the front of the
        engine that is.

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Buccaneer.
        olcah
        Participant

US Member

I don’t know if you have a shop manual for this motor. I use the “Johnson Manual to 1964.” It is about 600 pages and covers a lot of 1940s and especially 1950s motors. I got mine by copying one I borrowed. If I had to do it again I would look for a complete printed copy. Not inexpensive but very very useful if you plan to enjoy this hobby I think EDE in the Club offered some for sale awhile back. There are online copies too but I think they are difficult to read. Other Members can steer you to one.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by olcah. Reason: Dowel pins are already described in post above
        Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.