Home Forum Ask A Member Replacement parts for OMC flywheel puller?

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Centering tool is used to remove lower main bearing from V-4 and other larger motors.

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

Garry, I hope you have good luck with the thick fender washers, but I have not! Part of what makes the puller work so well is the toughness of the washers as well as their thickness. Their inability to give under the forces. That & the shoulder bolt being screwed down snug. I am in the process of trying 1/4" grade 8 think washers. They have to be made just a touch bigger ID to fit the shoulder screws, but fit nicely after that. They are very thick & tough. Only time will tell if they bow under a big load (early RD/Big Twin flywheel removal) or early ’60s RD? That is a true test.
        I have bought many of the original washers & love those, but would love a local source. My Ace Hardware store has these if they work out. The ID of these 1/4" grade 8 washers is .309 & the shank of the shoulder screw is .309 so you just have to shave the inside of the washer for them to fit nicely. A 5/16 drill is perfect at .3125.

Dan in TN

squierka39
        Participant

US Member

FrankR, thanks for the info. I’ll probably never use it but it’s nice know I can.

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

You may not ever use it, but on top of that it does work on 1992 & later cranks with the retainer/o-ring type crank. That crank setup has the shield that lips over the end of the crank to retain the o-ring. The piece you refer to will bend the retainer. In the shop we ended up making a cut off driveshaft that went into the spines. With a center in it the puller will pull the bearing the same way, but not touch the end of the crank. Just an FYI.

Dan in TN

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.