Home Forum Ask A Member Replacing lower unit 1960 Scott 40hp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Captain_Rum
    Participant

Replacing lower unit 1960 Scott 40hp-
      So i have had no luck seperating the lower unit body/gear housing from the pump housing assembly- does anyone have a lower unit for sale?
      1960 Scott 40hp

Captain_Rum
      Participant

2021-07-09-09

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Can’t separate them because of corroded studs?? Standard operating procedure on similar OMC motors is hacksaw them. I’ve never done it on a Scott, but what have you got to lose?

Gearcase-studs-cutting

Captain_Rum
          Participant

well, i suppose i can try that… at this point what can it hurt?
            thanks for the info! i will update on result

jrm80
            Participant

I have an engine in which the previous owner was confronted with the same problem and had to cut the stuck bolts off to get it apart. He did so by doing the cut on the lower unit side leaving the midsection undamaged. He did not repair the damaged lower unit, just left the gap where he had sawed off the stud. True, the ideal method of repairing the lower unit it to have the damaged portion welded up, but instead, I simply filled the damaged area with JB weld. That’s been over four years ago, and it is holding up just fine. It all depends on much of a perfectionist you are, but I’m satisfied with my repair. Just another alternative for repair of the damage done by cutting off the stud.

Captain_Rum
              Participant

Update- managed to get the parts apart by cutting through the stud as suggested. What a PITA! then i was lucky enough to have a friend assist in removing the parts that were left in the casting. Now i have to repair the minor damage with the JB weld as suggested above, and replace all of the seals. i wish there was a good cross-reference for the old scott/mcculloch parts to an actual description- guess i will have to do it manually
                Thanks for the advice

dave-bernard
                Participant

look for a ## on the seal or take the seal to a auto parts store.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

If you can find numbers on the seals, see if you can cross-reference them at the site below – it will often cross-reference numbers specific to a motor manufacturer. If not, go to the site’s catalog and try to match up dimensions.
                    Dave

http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_parts_lookup_457012.htm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.