Home Forum Ask A Member replacing rivet on the aluminum boat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hirschlt37
    Participant

US Member

I’m sure this has been kicked around before….I need to replace some rivets…understand typical pop rivets won’t cut it…where do you find the right tools and rivets?? thanks, Gary

Anonymous

You can get them at places like Grainger or Fastenal or even Hanson Rivet. If you are putting in a rivet on a seam where it will be exposed on the back you need to buck the rivrt (beat the shank down). You can use a hammer and a chunk of steel for bucking tools. If the rivet won’t be exposed you can use an Olympic rivet which is similar to a pop rivet but it has a rounded head like a solid rivet. http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Oly … ts-179.htm They are used quite a bit on Airstream trailer restorations. Do a google search for bucking rivets and you should get lots of info.
        Kirk

amuller
        Participant

If planning to do much tin boat work, it would make sense to get riveting equipment–a pneumatic rivet gun, sets, and bucking bar. (You need a proper rivet gun with teasing throttle, not an ordinary air hammer.) Aircraft Tool Supply is one source. Here is another: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/to/ … un2602.php

wedgie
          Participant

Looked around locally first and came up empty, so I got some closed end rivets through Amazon.

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have been considering getting a rivet gun and tools needed for this as well. I have had several rivets in a number of boats I have and had that I would have replaced if I had the tools. Right now I have 4 or 5 #8 screws and nuts on the inside in a couple ribs in my ’86 Starcraft. They are holding OK but it isn’t right and I’d rather have it done right. I may be pricing some tools as well. Thanks for posting this topic.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

2fast4me
              Participant

If you know an Aircraft Mechanic or an aircraft homebuilder they may have the tools to loan, or even drive them for you. It doesn”t take long.
                Jim

2Fast4Me

outboard315
                Participant

McMaster Carr has the rivets and tool.

hirschlt37
                  Participant

US Member

Thanks for all the feedback…I’ll see what’s out here…Gary

dwdropinn
                    Participant

US Member

I just started rivet work on my ’49 FC Vagabond. I suggest you spend the extra cash and purchase a 4X gun. The triggering allows for a smooth, slow acceleration of the action. It is well worth the money.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.