Home Forum Ask A Member Replacing water pump seal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rvdriver
    Participant

What’s the best way to remove and install a new water pump seal?

I am rebuilding the lower unit in my 58 Big Twin.

This one is really stuck in there.

Thanks, Steven

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

A seal puller, or hammer & punch or chisel, screw driver with block of wood for leverage,
        drill a small hole, insert a wood screw, and “pry”. Some work some days, some
        work no days, lol.
        At least you have room to work. I’m wonder about this crankshaft seal removal, without
        using the “proper” tool.

DSCN8147

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
        Participant

US Member

That gearcase seal is not the original. Is it leaking?

Richard White might be making the crankshaft seal tool. richardsoutboardtools.com

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

That gearcase seal is not the original. Is it leaking?

Richard White might be making the crankshaft seal tool. richardsoutboardtools.com

Richard’s website says he hasn’t gotten the 40 hp upper crankcase seal removal tool
            into production yet. I wasn’t planning on working on a 40 hp, but it came with the boat
            I wanted. I don’t plan on ever getting another one…. especially a manual start, therefore
            I’m hesitant about spending $58 to remove one seal. I do have a 56 Evinrude 35 hp
            awaiting revival, but it appears that takes a different seal removal tool.

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Yep, a 40 seal is larger than a 35. Personally, I’d run the one that’s in there unless it proves to leak in the future. Time enough to deal with it then.

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Yep, a 40 seal is larger than a 35. Personally, I’d run the one that’s in there unless it proves to leak in the future. Time enough to deal with it then.

I’m guessing it’s the original 56 year old seal. I had the torch on the flywheel several times
                trying to get it to pop off, but I didn’t see where anything melted, i.e., the old broken coils,
                so perhaps the seal didn’t suffer heat damage.
                I may leave well enough alone with the seal. Perhaps I’ll just put on
                new ignition components so I can at least hear it run once.
                The Gale’s “Evinrude” lower unit has been gone through with
                new seals, bearings, etc., so that can be used on other projects
                if wanted. I think we decided it was off a 25 hp…… looked the same
                as my 25 hp RDE-17 anyway.

Prepare to be boarded!

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

Put some oil on seal then turn the crank and see if it bubbles (leaks).

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

Put some oil on seal then turn the crank and see if it bubbles (leaks).

Good idea Dave. I remember watching Tubs video demonstrating this.

Prepare to be boarded!

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

Did I miss something here? rvdriver started this thread asking about removing a water pump seal and I don’t see where anyone answered his question yet. I have destroyed these old seals with a hammer and screwdriver to get them out, with difficulty, and would also be interested in an easier way to remove them.
                      Thx,
                      Dave

bobw
                      Participant

US Member

I’m usually able to get them out with my seal puller with one or two sharp yanks. I had one that was really stuck where the puller just ripped up the metal edge of the seal and I then used a pair of linesman pliers to grab the torn metal and pull the seal.

15-Driveshaft-Seal-Removed

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                        1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.