Home Forum Ask A Member Repurposed Boat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    need2fish
    Participant

I found this on the side of a little-travelled road 2 years ago.

Not sure if it ever saw water but it’s a very creative construct.

The center of the "vehicle" (?) is an early 60’s fiberglass boat with aluminum skin over the bow, the aft part is a frame bolted to the boat, with a 4-cyl Lycoming and prop mounted on it.

It sits on a 1950’s boat trailer.

That’s as detailed an investigation I could get as I don’t like snooping in areas with high rifle ownership 🙂

Red-neck airboat.

vixbit
      Participant

Possibly a powered iceboat. I remember seing one similar to this in southern Wisconsin in the late 1950s

tarcigam
        Participant

looks like an airplane engine.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Wow, what a conversation piece! It would be neat to pull it out of there.

amuller
            Participant

Judging from the deterioration of the prop and the rust on the rocker covers I’d say it’s been there a long time. The fuel system looks like it’s based on an automotive carb. An engine that is junk from an aviation point of view can still have value for airboat use, but I’m betting this one is too rusted internally to have any real value. I’d bet on the iceboat theory, especially as there’s no sign of an air rudder behind the prop. Very cool sighting.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Lycoming makes both four and six cylinder aircraft motors. Both are often used in airboats. . . 😀

The Boat House
                Participant
                  quote tarcigam:

looks like an airplane engine.

dougs-outboards
                  Participant

Don’t let Farmtruck or Azn see that they will be making a racer out of it.

I wonder what Count’s Customs could do on that thing making it a custom rod? Those guys are amazing with their talents…

chris-p
                    Participant

Pretty damn cool! Would love to play with a project like that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.