Home Forum Ask A Member Restoration of 1964 3hp Johnson JH 19A

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Monte NZ
    Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Hi All
      Could someone please let me know the size of the mesh holes (drill size) in the carburetor fire arrestor for the above?

The original is missing and I have been unable to obtain one from outboard wreckers here in NZ.
      I have decided to make one as getting one from USA isn’t possible as all airmail to NZ from USA has been stopped until further notice as result of Covid……..my
      Outboarder Mag normally takes between two and three months, so it looks like the October issue may arrive next year ha ha!

Thanks in advance
      Monte NZ

Rusted Junk
      Participant

5690EEF5-A9C7-4904-AB3C-4D1DFD2FDE55

They are .062 or 1/16 “ if this is the part you are referring to.
        RJ

Monte NZ
        Participant

Thanks very much RJ for the info and photo…….much appreciated!
          I spent most of this afternoon making it. It isn’t perfect but the holes are all in the right places………certainly better than not having one, going on what I have read.

Attached below is a photo of the finished screen (hope this works…….haven’t done pictures using Google Drive on this site before……..hope it works!
          https://photos.app.goo.gl/PPtiA6E5GuB9naqY7

Thanks again
          Monte NZ

Mumbles
          Participant

Your determination has paid off. Well done!

JW-Carb-Plate

Rusted Junk
            Participant

Monte,
              No problem , I have one in my stash of treasures, was easy to slip a drill into it and send a picture,nicely done on the homemade part, I found one on Evil Bay for a friend about a year ago and I think it was around $30 US to buy. 👍👍
              RJ

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

and your engine will likely work fine without it

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Monte NZ
                Participant

Thanks Mumbles for your kind words and thanks again RJ for your help …….$30 on Evil Bay is pretty steep and then there is the cost of postage!……talking of high postage costs, I was quoted $30 Canadian recently for a set of decals to be posted to NZ! Needless to say, I will see how well the motor performs before I consider getting a set.
                  Thanks too crosbyman for your comments……..from what I have read in Garry’s posts, it would appear that having one installed,could improves the idling.
                  You may be interested to know that it was made out of an old aluminium Champion Spark Plug sign……….nothing like a bit of recycling!

Thanks again
                  Monte NZ

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

If ever you get the chance try idling with a screen and without the screen to make it official…

To bad for the Champion plug sign antique a can of Pepsi or.. Coke could probably do a good screen also (easy to cut a copy and easy to punch holes 🙂 )

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

dan-in-tn
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Being that your model has a fixed high speed orifice it is more likely to effect wide open throttle. If the screen is restrictive (holes a little small or too few) then the motor will run rich. Like wise if not restrictive enough would be lean. These little motors are pretty touchy.. Wouldn’t be a problem with an adjustable needle. Hope that helps!

Dan in TN

Monte NZ
                      Participant

Crosbyman
                        When I get the motor finished, I will certainly be interested to do a idling test with and without the screen and post the results
                        and by the way, you will be pleased to know that I didn’t have to wreck a good Champion sign……..it was made from a bit of one on my Dads metal rack…….I recon it must have been there a good 60 yrs!!!

Thanks again
                        Monte NZ
                        PS I had tried a Coke can, but found it too flimsy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.