Home Forum Ask A Member Restoring a 1946 Evinrude 2 HP model 4409

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    todd281
    Participant

I am looking to replace the plug and wire on my Evinrude Sportsman and would like to get it as close to OME as possible . The replacement wire I have so that is not the issue. The plug that is installed is a Champion h-10j . Does anyone have the original manufacturer name and number of the plug that would have came in the engine in 1946? All I have is a Evenrude part # 200-092 but that so far has not helped.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

This is the closest I could find to the correct chart. Not sure if it
        was a “Champion” chart or an Evinrude chart showing Champion
        plugs.

Prepare to be boarded!

todd281
        Participant

Thank you so much that has allot more information than I could dig up .

lindy46
          Participant

US Member

FWIW, a Champion J6C works well in my 1947 Sportsman.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

That is the chart off of the back of the Evinrude price book. When Evinrude went from sand cast iron to die cast Aluminum, the reports of stripped spark plug threads began the show up. At that time the instruction book said to screw in your new plug hand tight and give it another quarter turn to seat the NEW copper gasket. Obviously many were doing that with an OLD gasket. After a service bulletin giving an installation torque of 20 foot pounds didn’t eliminate the problem, they changed the casting die to use the H-10 spark plug which has a half inch of threads as apposed to the J series which has only 3/8″ – The J7-C may be used if you are careful not to over tighten – 17.5 to 18 ft. lb. . .

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

This may be of some help . . .

– – – – – – – 1947 was better – – – – – –

todd281
                Participant

thanks so much for all the info. I saved all the images they are the first ones I’ve seen for the 4409 model. now if I could just get those dents and dings out of the gas tank … and that aluminum to polish up I’ll be all set. Thanks to all once again .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.