Home Forum Ask A Member Restoring a 1946 Evinrude 2 HP model 4409

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    todd281
    Participant

I have a Evinrude Sportsman Model 4409 that I have decided to spend some time on, and had a few questions. I have seen them “restored” but left unpainted, just polished “mirror like” aluminum and I like that look but do not want something, that after I get it looking great, I have to polish every week. So the question here is how do we keep the polished aluminum looking great? I thought about clear coating after polishing but I do not think that would work out because of not acid etching before applying it. So I am now thinking just a good coat of car wax . Another concern is using water slide decals on the tank. After applying them to the raw aluminum, again I do not think I could clear coat them. So they would be unprotected from the gas spills and scratching. Perhaps it would be better to use vinyl decals on this one. Any advise on the subject would be appreciated.

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

I believe they were originally painted dull aluminum. I’ve seen vinyl decals on EBay, and that is how my 1947 Sportsman is finished.

todd281
        Participant

yea i have seen them also and i knew about the paint , i just thought that the motor look really nice polished aluminum . I do not want to create a problem with keeping it looking polished .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.