Home Forum Ask A Member Reusing a old water pump impeller

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    20mercman
    Participant

US Member
      quote bigrichsoldoutboard:

I have a friend that flips over the old impellers and reuses them, I feel you go through the effort removing the lower unit why take a chance on the old impeller breaking and getting stuck someplace in the outboard and causing real trouble. Whats your opinion

I just purchased a couple of KG-7 pumps and two KE-7 pumps from you on e-bay. (The KE-7 were a few months ago, the KG over the weekend)

I have had marginal luck with NOS pumps also like others here have stated. I had a very hard to find pump for a 64 Mercury 200 that was very hard, I also picked up a NOS pump off of marinengine.com for a KE-7 that broke just attempting to install it. I did get a refund on that one. That was my last experience with NOS pumps. I do have a NOS pump for a neutral clutch fleetwin that is very soft and pliable.

Steve

Mumbles
      Participant

These impellers were either flipped or died from old age and neglect. The choice is yours.

Attachments:

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

it is made of rubber…. you would never re-used an old rubber would you 😯

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant
            quote crosbyman:

it is made of rubber…. you would never re-used an old rubber would you 😯

Depends on the relationship 🙂

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

chris-p
            Participant

No offense to your friend, im sure a great guy, but should maybe take some pointers from someone before working on any more motors!

1946zephyr
              Participant

Impellers are way cheaper than a roasted powerhead

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have flipped them ONLY to check the function of the pump in a tank if I was waiting for a new impeller to arrive. Flipping them over is a bad idea and should never be done if the motor is being run on a boat. It accelerates the process of the vanes breaking off just as been mentioned here above. Once you spend hours, days, weeks, or more getting pieces out of the cooling system when one disintegrates, that will be the last time you flip one… even if you are lucky enough to catch it before you roast the powerhead. Definitely not worth it.

Then last one I had apart for about 6 weeks getting all the giblets out of the works. That one had either been flipped by someone else or just run to complete failure. A brand new impeller was used and still no water to the powerhead, so I had to get after the pieces. What a pain. 😥

Looks like I don’t have the picture of that one anymore but I have a couple others of failed impellers.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

chris-p
                  Participant

I had a guy bring me a motor once to clean chunks of rubber out of his cooling system AFTER I told him he needed a new water pump and was too cheap and flipped the impeller because Bob down the street said it was ok! I told him go get Bob to pick out all the chunks now! Im not doing it.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.