Home Forum Ask A Member Reusing a old water pump impeller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bigrichsoldoutboard
    Participant

US Member

I have a friend that flips over the old impellers and reuses them, I feel you go through the effort removing the lower unit why take a chance on the old impeller breaking and getting stuck someplace in the outboard and causing real trouble. Whats your opinion

outboardboy3
      Participant

If you can, I would definitely replace it. I wouldn’t take a chance on an old impeller.

captchuck
        Participant

50 some years ago Dad taught me to ALWAYS replace the impeller if you have the lower unit off. He even carried a spare in the boat tool box just incase. Cheap insurance compared with a row/tow in or an overheated engine.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

Flipping them over is a bad idea. Every service manual I’ve ever read warns not to do that. If you have a motor that has an NLA impeller, and you are desperate, then maybe..

The Boat House
            Participant

Big Rich-
              Sent you a PM.

reivertom
              Participant

US Member

It certainly isn’t deadly for the people in the boat, but I could be for the motor.

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

The danger here is the possibility of the impeller blades breaking off, mainly due to dry rot. Once the impeller blades have taken a set, and you turn them over, this risk increases. Now, as you happily run down the lake, enjoying yourself, one or more of the impeller blades break off…. Virtually all tiller steer outboards (at least the ones we are discussing) DO NOT have an over heat warning system. Now as you happily run along, the water pump fails to do it’s job, and the motor suddenly overheats. You then begin to notice that the motor has lost some power, and probably doesen’t sound like it normally does. You stop to look back at the water pump/ exaust discharge, and see no water comimng out! Oh crap, you just ruined your powerhead… Is it worth it??

david-bartlett
                  Participant
                    quote bigrichsoldoutboard:

I have a friend that flips over the old impellers and reuses them, I feel you go through the effort removing the lower unit why take a chance on the old impeller breaking and getting stuck someplace in the outboard and causing real trouble. Whats your opinion

There is such a thing as being frugal, but this is not it!

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

I second everything that’s been said. Don’t do it.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

If it has taken a "set", that means it has lost its elasticity. so bending it the other way will only invite cracks and loss of blades. I feel the box they come in should have a "Best if used by" date stamped on it. I would not trust a sixty year old "New Old Stock" impeller any more than I would one that had been used for seven years. . . 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.