Home Forum Ask A Member Royal scott 45hp impeller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    glockperfection
    Participant

Hello I was wondering if anyone knew where to get parts for an old outboard motor I would like to get back on the water. It’s a royal scott mcculloch 45hp outboard I’m guessing was built around 1958-59′ and it recently stopped pumping water. I pulled it apart and realized it had 2 impellers, a bailer pump which I have no idea whats for, and of course a water pump. Does any one know where I can find new impellers? Thank you in advance and any help would be greatly appreciated I would really like it back on the water for summer.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
        glockperfection
        Participant

Thank you frankR I sent them an email. I have another question maybe it’s a stupid one but what exactly does the bailer pump do none of my other outboard have them I know sometimes a bilge pump may sometimes be regarded as a bailer but why would that be on the outboard?

auldscott
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Glock,

At the time your motor was made, Scott McCulloch had as a feature on their motors the capability to pump out the bilges as the motor ran. This was before electric bilge pumps were common.

It actually worked pretty well; I had that feature on a 5 hp Scott and used it after it rained.

No other manufacturer did that, as far as I know, and eventually the idea died out.

dave-bernard
            Participant

you are correct it is a pump to bail the boat. a hose is hooked to the fitting and goes in the boat there was a heavy grilled pickup for the end of the hose. worked while the motor is running.

frankr
              Participant

Boats in those days were made of wood, and the majority of them leaked. The bailer helped keep your feet dry. An old tin can served as a backup. You can imagine what else the can was used for.

glockperfection
                Participant

Thank you for all your replies I kinda figured that’s what it was for so if I don’t go have it pumping water it wears a lot faster I assume? I’m wondering if I even need to put the bailer impeller in since I never used it before.

oltimer
                  Participant
                    quote Glockperfection:

Thank you for all your replies I kinda figured that’s what it was for so if I don’t go have it pumping water it wears a lot faster I assume? I’m wondering if I even need to put the bailer impeller in since I never used it before.

I understand that you never had the bailer before; but the top impellor works as a kind of seal for your lower one!. If you do not run the top one; I’m fairly sure you will have to figure out how to close up for the bottom one to pump fully all the time. I know guys have done it before.

edgartc
                    Participant

The Bail-o-matic impeller has always confused me, did they let it run dry when the boat was bailed out? Will the motor pump cooling water with the Bail o matic impeller removed?

oltimer
                      Participant
                        quote EdgarTC:

The Bail-o-matic impeller has always confused me, did they let it run dry when the boat was bailed out? Will the motor pump cooling water with the Bail o matic impeller removed?

Edgar the bailer impeller never runs dry as there is continual seepage coming through from the 1st one. This is what I’m talking about in my previous post.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.