Home Forum Ask A Member scott atwater coils

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    william hudson
    Participant

does anyone know where I can get coil, condenser and points for a model 470 scott atwater motor?

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member

Nice Motor. 1947 3.6HP Do you know whether you have the Phelon or Eisemann magneto? They used both. Your best bet would be to use the Classified section here and ask for a complete mag-plate with all the components intact along with a matching flywheel if you switch from Phelon to Eisemann or vice-versa. Hopefully whoever is selling it would be able and willing to test the coil and condensor prior to shipping it to you. Are you certain that yours is bad? Are you familiar with the correct methods used to test what you have? The old Scott Atwater ignitions are usually pretty bullet-proof in my experience. I attached a couple of page captures from the Scott manual.

EisMag_470

PheMag_470

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by seakaye12.
        • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by seakaye12.
        wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

You might be able to swap OMC style coils. You may have to do some filing.

https://aomci.org/forums/topic/firestone-scott-atwater-coil-swap-2/

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by wbeaton.
          • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by wbeaton.
          william hudson
          Participant

thanks for the quick response, this is a motor that I spent many hours riding up and down our bayou 60 some odd years ago. About 20 years ago, it quit running so I decided to fix it,never happened, I pulled the coil out and have no idea where it is. As to whether it has a Eiseman or Phelon magneto, I have no idea. The condenser has Echlin stamped on it if that is any help.

william hudson
            Participant

Thanks for your response, do you know where I could find a condenser and set of points?

cajuncook1
              Participant

William, do you still have coil laminate or is the coil body and the laminate missing. If, you still have the coil laminate, then you would be able to place an OMC coil body on the laminate. If the coil laminate is missing, then place a want ad for a 1947 Scott Atwater coil laminate for a model 470.

I also have a 1947 Scott Atwater 3.6hp. They are a delight to run. The tanks were made of steel and are prone to rusting, so please check your tank well for pin holes. If the tank is not to badly compromised, then you can certainly get some tank sealer that would do a good job of getting it sound.

You mentioned you used to putt around the bayou with the motor, are you from Louisiana or French settle areas of Canada?

Here is a nice article that was written by Art S and it has helped a lot with returning these old beauties to the water.

http://oddjobmotors.net/tt1_replacewico_coil.htm

You can use a OMC condenser with the OMC coil. If the points on the Scott Atwater are in decent shape, then clean and reset them to a gap of 0.02 inch at the highest point of the points cam.

Someone will post a link to 2 guys that make and sell the water pump impellers for your motor. You will want to replace that impeller, the old one will probably be hard and brittle and cause you misery. Don’t forget to replace your shear/driver pin for your propeller. You would hate to out on the bayou and that pin shear and not have any spares.

Show us a picture of the old gal and let us help you return her to glory!!

Cheers,
                Cajuncook1

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

So glad to see the Odd Job Motor site back up.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

william hudson
                  Participant

I don’t have the laminate, will try as you suggest. I’m from southwest Louisiana, 3 miles south of a small town of Welsh. Bayou Chene is about 1 & 1/2 miles south and the East fork of Bayou Lacassine is about 300 yards to my west.
                    Many hours were spent in an old cypress bateau on the Lacassine. Picture will be forthcoming. Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

cajuncook1
                    Participant

If you PM (private message ) me your email address, I can send you a digital service manual for your motor. I will also look for contact information for guys that make water pumps for your motor.

Yes, please post pictures of your your motor. That is half the fun ☺

Cajuncook1

I grew up in a little town just north of Lafayette, Louisiana. Spent many of years fishing along the bayou Tech and in Henderson Lake aka swamp.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.