Home Forum Ask A Member Sea Horse 25 Carb and Manual Question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    crabb
    Participant

Hi all. Finally joined the forum and became a member after tinkering with 50s OMC motors for a while. I just bought a Johnson Sea-Horse 25. (RD-14) and I’ve been going through and getting the mechanicals sound.

Checked the ignition and replaced the coils. Did the lower unit oil. I took apart the carb and cleaned it and that’s where I ran into trouble. Everything looked good. The float was well adjusted.The needles were in good shape and the bowl was pretty clean. I just put it back together, and realized that I lost the pin(?) that keeps the float level in the bowl somewhere along the way. I remember something sitting underneath the ‘hinge’ that holds the float in that brass hole(?). Part of my problem is that I can’t find a manual with the exploded parts for the motor either, so I’m not 100% sure what I’m missing. How much trouble did I just get myself into? Pictures attached. Do I need a whole new carb? Does a rebuild kit fix my rookie mistake of fixing something that wasn’t broken?

Please let me know if I’m posting this in the wrong place too. Hope I didn’t screw up too bad!

IMG_0984

IMG_0985

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
      benji41
      Participant

US Member

Go to marine engines.com and click on engine parts ( first box on left ) click Johnson and enter model#. Click carb on right.

Jim Benjamin

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It looks like you are missing the float valve needle. While your carb would probably be OK with the original one, I would recommend replacing the float valve and seat as part of a carburetor rebuild. The RD carb kits are discontinued, but the individual pieces are still available and you may get lucky and still find a kit somewhere. The early RDs are fun motors. I have two of them and really enjoy running them.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

David Bartlett
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, What Ben said X2

David Bartlett
            Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

frankr
            Participant

US Member

The float hinge pin is part number 302661. Just a piece of brass rod. But I think you mean the float valve as others have suggested

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by frankr.
              outboardnut
              Participant

US Member
                crabb
                Participant

Hi everyone! Thanks for the really fast help. I can tell I’m going to love this community. Based on the link that outboardnut sent, I would be ok with http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7024 that if I wasn’t going to replace the float and the other one if I was going to replace the float. Are there any good resources for rebuilding these old carbs? I’m much better with the magneto components and I’ve never replaced all the seals so that’s something new for me.

Thanks again!

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You’ll get good at these carbs pretty quick. This era of OMC carbs are well made, easily serviced, simple, and forgiving. As for carb kits, I personally will never use a Sierra kit as long as BRP keeps making good ones. That’s a personal preference but I do not like their quality. Unfortunately they do not actually make a plastic foam float for this carb. One is available that can be made to work. All my RDs and Big Twins have new cork floats in them. They are supposed to be ethanol resistant, but I never use ethanol fuel in my outboards.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

crabb
                    Participant

I’ll keep an eye out for those plastic floats. Thanks for the tip. I’ll probably go through your video on youtube to see how you service the carbs. I couldn’t find the BRP carb kit for the older 25s. Any suggestions on where to look out for those?

Is this it? http://www.marineengine.com/parts/brp/johnson-evinrude-outboard/carburetor-kit.html

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by crabb.
                      stanley
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Or you could try http://www.ganotech.com/ Dan will make you up a reasonably priced kit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.