Home Forum Ask A Member Sea King Water Tube Restrictor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    aquasonic
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have recently been given two 1950’s Sea King parts motors. When disassembling them for parts, I noticed that both water tubes have flow restrictors, just above the water pump housing grommet. I don’t recall ever seeing these before.

It appears that the cross sectional area of the cooling tube is reduced by around 75%. I’m hoping that someone can explain the rationale behind the use of these.

omc-water-tube-restrictor

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by aquasonic.
      Buccaneer
      Participant

Maybe without the restrictors the engineers determined
        that the powerheads run too cool.
        My only guess, lol.

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
        Participant

I’ve seen these restrictors in the smaller pre-thermostat 5.5 and 7.5 horse OMC motors before and I thought they were meant for use in cold Northern waters to help keep the motor at a decent temperature. They can be drilled out quite easily if your motor is used in warmer waters.

aquasonic
          Participant

Thanks Buccaneer and Mumbles. Since I live South of the Arctic Circle, it looks like I’ll be taking out the drill.

frankr
            Participant

Likewise, I’ve seen them in a number of OMC motors, with no apparent rational behind them. The main problem I’ve seen is that they can get obstructed by junk that was small enough to get though the water bypass plate. I always just take a drill to them whenever I find one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.