Home Forum Ask A Member Seafoam

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    russ
    Participant

Does anyone use seafoam? I have never tried it just wondering if it works or is it just another adative. Thanks for your input. Russ…..

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

Depends what you are using it for and which Seafoam product. Seafoam fogger in a spray can is commonly sprayed into carbs with the motor idling to coat internal parts for winter storage, and that works.
        On my inboard/outboard ski boat which has a V6 Chevy block built up for marine use by Mercury, I dump about 1/2 can of regular Seafoam slowly down the carb at a fast idle then shut it off for winter storage to coat/protect valves and upper cylinder. An old friend who restored and ran cabin cruisers on the Mississippi told me that was standard procedure for everyone at his marina, and I respect his opinion so I believe that is a good use for Seafoam.
        When dumped in the gas to cure motor problems, it may occasionally help dislodge some dirt, but my 2 cents on that use is that it probably will not be a quick fix if your carb has problems and/or needs a good cleanout. Get a spray can of carb cleaner and disassemble and clean it properly.
        On the other hand, if Seafoam does not cure a problem, I don’t think it will do any harm, other than maybe cause the spark plugs to foul a bit faster, and you are only out the price of a can of it for trying.
        My brother-in-law puts seafoam in the gas for his newer 4-stroke Yamaha for winter storage and says someone told him it stabilizes the gas – I don’t know if that works or not, but he has not had gas storage issues. I add nothing to ethanol-free gas for storage, just fill the tank to eliminate most of the air and I never have gas storage issues.
        Dave

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

worked wonders on my honda snowlower carb

Joining AOMCI has priviledges ๐Ÿ™‚

bobw
          Participant

US Member

Used the Seafoam spray for a decarbon service on my old 1998 Evinrude – cleaned it up real good although the neighbors thought I was fogging for mosquitoes with all the smoke it put out. Have also found the Seafoam Deep Creep to be a pretty good penetrating oil.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

โ€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.โ€
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

BROOK E. NEWCOMB
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have used Seafoam products regularly for years in everything I own
              with no issues.

Respectfully,

kerry
              Participant

US Member

Been using it for over 15 years. Add it to my main 5 gallon gas tank I use to feed my lawn equipment and haven’t had to rebuild a carb in years. I bought a 2 stroke Lawnboy snowblower a couple years ago CHEAP that the P.O. couldn’t get started. The carb was non adjustable, and gummed up. I used fresh gas with a triple dose of Seafoam. I would start it with a shot of gas mix and full choke. After a while, it would run on its own at half choke. Every week I would let it run a bit until it eventually ran without choke. I used it twice this year with no issues. I may have got really lucky this time, but I am a believer. I buy it at Menards by the gallon now.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

read here or somewhere Seafoam = 33% fuel oil, 33% naphta 33% alchool one part for lubrification, one part for dissolving crud one and… one part to take care of water in the gas

you could mix your own cheaply

Joining AOMCI has priviledges ๐Ÿ™‚

Mumbles
                  Participant
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.