Home Forum Ask A Member Sears Motor Information

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bill-m
    Participant

Hi all, I just received the 1964 Sears 3.5 hp motor I bought a couple months ago. It is made by McCulloch. The motor is complete except for the Pin that adjusts the angle of the motor. I have taken the gas tank off so I can remove the rust inside. I am getting ready to pull the flywheel so I can inspect the ignition parts. So far at this point I have no guide to help me. I am in need of an owner’s manual, parts list and possibly a service manual. If anyone has any or all of these and could post them or email them to me at wdm@trcable.tv it would be greatly appreciated. The serial number is 64600310-3192 and the model number is 574-60030. I don’t feel very comfortable proceeding any further without at least some of the printed materials. As stated before any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bill M

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

This is about all I found, not sure of the year though, but probably very similar to yours.

Sears-3.5-ignition

Sears-3.5-carb-adj.

Prepare to be boarded!

bill-m
        Participant

Thanks for the reply buccaneer. The diagrams you posted will be a great help and a good start. I did get the flywheel off and there is some surface rust on the inside of the flywheel and stator. What would be a good way to remove the rust? I wouldn’t want to damage these parts by using anything too harsh.

seakaye12
          Participant

A little rust is normal and won’t affect the magneto’s function. If you want you can clean it up a little with a wire brush and/or a bit of medium grit sandpaper. Just don’t get the grit and debris near the points. Clean the points up with 400-600 grit wet/dry sandpaper ….give them a squirt with brake cleaner and then run a piece of paper (like a grocery bag or business card) through them for the final clean. Put the flywheel back on and test spark. You will probably be fine.

I do see that discount marine parts offers a carb-kit for your engine….so if after having a look at it you can opt for that if you see the need. Often just a cleaning and inspection is all that is needed; try and save the gaskets as you take it apart. The kits are $$$$$

https://www.dicarbparts.com/custom-carburetor-kits/718-walbro-lmg159-carburetor-mcculloch-35hp-64300310-outboard-carb-kit-di-25075.html

Maybe others here will advise you re: the lower unit grease or oil. Check that before running.

Good luck!

seakaye12
            Participant

Interesting chat about your carburetor here:

https://aomci.org/forums/topic/walbro-carb-float-spring/

seakaye12
              Participant

Walbro_1

Walbro_2

Walbro_3

Walbro_4

Walbro_1

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by seakaye12.
                bill-m
                Participant

Thanks again for the information on rust removal and a special thanks to Seakaye 12 for the carb pictures. They will be very helpful! When I first heard of this motor I posted pictures and received comments that this type won a “slow trolling” contest. I can’t wait to get this motor on the lake and see how slow I can go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.