Home Forum Ask A Member Serial number effect on value?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    todd281
    Participant

I came into a Evinrude Sportsman model 4416 recently in pretty good shape. [see pictures] When I got it home, and started going over it, I noticed that it had what I believe is the original H-10 plug in it,and most of the decals were still there and could be read. The kids that I bought it from put straight gas in it and tried, but could not start it. [lucky for me] As fate would have it, I found that the fuel valve was plugged so no gas got to the carb. I cleaned the tank and valve, and put some 16-1 mix in it. With a little tinkering she is up and running, THEN I notice the serial number. 4416-00776. I know they made oodles of these motors. That seems like a low number to me but I really don’t know what is considered a low number for these. I am also wondering if it increases it value by much [if any] What would be a serial number that would make a difference?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by todd281.
      sydinnj
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would say the first one made or to some maybe the last one made.

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Low serial numbers only seem to matter when it comes to early motors. For instance, 1910 Evinrude, 1921 ELTO F, 1921 Johnson A. Those motors all have more value the closer you get to the starting serial number because they are at the beginning of the brand. Serial numbers in sequence can have some additional value. Otherwise, I think only the motors with some historic importance gain value from a low serial number. At least in general. I’m sure sure there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

todd281
          Participant

I get it ,, early pre war motors . I was not sure,[ as I have just starting to collect “older” outboards], when I should start to be aware of the serial #s . When I spotted the tag on this one it got me to thinking about it. Thanks for the replies

lindy46
            Participant

US Member

Nice original motor. I, too have one. They are well made and reliable runners. Mine usually starts on the first or second pull.

wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Well you picked a really nice one. That’s better than a low serial number. IMO. Enjoy it. I hope we see some video of it running on a boat when you are done.

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

This is a handy reference –

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

P.S. The 41B197 rewind spring was used on many OMC outboards. It was used in Johnsons as 41-197. When OMC digitized there parts inventory in the late 1950s, most numbers containing letters or dashes were changed to a six digit part number. It was so popular that it became the first rewind .spring duplicated by Sierra Marine. When BMP took over OMC’ they added a preceding zero to the OMC numbers to separate them from their own motor parts inventory.

todd281
                    Participant

Thanks for the complements . When I got it home I removed the recoil starter and pulled the fly wheel. Everything looked good. The underside of the starter looks brand new. Compression checks at 75 LBS , I removed the carb and sprayed some cleaner through it, however it, also is in real good shape. Then when I noticed the #s I thought “perhaps I should ask about this ” I was afraid I maybe I was playing with something that I shouldn’t . I feel much better about tinkering with it now. Right now I am thinking I will leave it as original as I can, instead of restoring it, as most of the decals are in nice shape. Maybe work on the dings in the tank. Although I think I should keep the H-10 for the meets and run it on a newer plug ,Thanks again

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by todd281.
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.