Home Forum Ask A Member Shear pin

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    olcah
    Participant

US Member

I use brass instead of stainless on 1950s 25 and 30 HP thinking that the brass will break more easily and provide greater protection, maybe even protecting the old rubber in a clutch type prop. The brass rod seems to work well. I boat on lakes. If it was on the ocean I might feel differently.

JOHN HOLBIK
      Participant

They started to spec steel pins when they put rubber hubs in the props counting on the rubber to give.At our resort I always replaced the steel with brass.I think we saved a lot of money on props doing this.
        If you run rubber hubs in really weedy rivers alot it does not take long and the hub starts to spin.Twice I had hay wire the hub to the prop and troll home. On the newer 9.9 drive a piece of limb into the prop hub and troll home.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

There are pros an cons. The only pro I can think of is better prop protection with a soft shear pin. But lots of cons.

1. Ever try to change a shear pin on the water? Ever lean out three feet behind the transom with tools to change the pin? Ever fall into the drink? Besides, we got gators.

2. Mercury was very stiff competition with their no-shear pin splined shafts.

3. Gear shift motors will wear out and break a soft pin just from shifting.

4. There are more, but this should get the idea across.

seakaye12
          Participant

US Member

Frank, you got me with the “we got gators….”

gators

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by seakaye12.
            The Boat House
            Participant

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

If I ever go on a “gator lake” I want to be prepared…..

Gator-Boat

Prepare to be boarded!

green-thumbs
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Material; 3/16″ Brass rod

Tools: File, tubing cutter or hack saw, small vise, 6 inch scale

Measure groove in propeller, clamp rod in vise, measure where to cut.
                  File and test pin against groove, helps to round ends Tubing cutter
                  found at garage sale makes precise cut, but, swells ends with
                  displaced metal. Chuck in drill or just file in vise.
                  Start a little long and work off excess with file until it fits.

Brass rod may sometimes be at Lowes, Tractor Supply or your favorite
                  hardware store. Or maybe not.

Craftwork methods are slow and labor intensive, but, what can not
                  be found must be made.
                  Helps if you are a tool junkie who has been to every garage sale
                  Louis

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by green-thumbs.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by green-thumbs.
                Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.