Shipping outboards

Home Forum Ask A Member Shipping outboards

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Greatdayne

Replies: 0
    Topics: 1

What is the easiest way to ship an outboard?  I have an 7.5 evinrude fleet twin and live in Michigan the person that wants it lives in Florida. What is the easiest way to ship the motor. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

any friends going south ??

check with  UPS-DHL  style shippers for the best rate ..motors are heavy it may be cost prohibitive with today’s  shipping costs  to ship a 60 year old motor

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

oldlure

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 161
    Topics: 18

I’ve never done it but have often heard it suggested. Might need to be on a pallet.

https://www.fastenal.com/fast/blue-lane-freight

lindy46

Replies: 496
    Topics: 41

I’ve shipped 40hp motors via truck freight on a pallet, but smaller motors, like yours, can be crated and shipped UPS or FedEx. I’ve built my own crates for several smaller motors.

dave-bernard

Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

also if you remove the powerhead send in 2 boxes.

fifty20ne

Replies: 488
    Topics: 75

UPS will not honor any

damage Claims if you

pack and ship yourself!

”Warning”

billy-j

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 154
    Topics: 22

Maybe post on this site a member in Florida may be up in Michigan and would transport it back to Florida for some gas money.

drbenson-live-com

Replies: 2
    Topics: 1

I built a “skeleton” from 1x4s that the motor can be attached to. Then went to an appliance store and got a shipping box from a washer.  Then takes some thin pieces of plywood and screw them into the 1x4s to secure the cardboard to the skeleton.  UPS will accept it but may not insure it. I have also disassembled a Fleetwin into a suitcase (hard case) and flew home with it.

BROOK E. NEWCOMB

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 95
    Topics: 9

I have had good luck with FedEx Ground.

green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 583
    Topics: 43

When the snow flakes fly, got to on ramnp of I 75 with a sign …Small outboard to Florida needed…will pay…lots of Snow Birds make trek to Florida in Fall and back in Spring. Ask around…you probably know several.

I have used, UPS, USPS, Federal Express and found them all to be too expensive for average small outboard. I once shipped a pair of big Mercs on a pallet $$$$  Retail shipping rates discourage casual customer. Amazon started its own delivery  company to get leverage for better rates.  If buyer is willing to pay shipping, shop rates. Size and weight limits may require disassembly. As fare as parts go, it is hard to beat USPS Flat Rate Box

Louis

If the motor is within Long,High, Wide and Wide Limits of f chosen shipper, make a double wall shipping contaier from recycled corrogated cardboard appliance cartons. remove and bag things that stick out (handles, carb, put everything into the double wall box, then stuff voids with paper from shredder. Use strong tape to seal up box.
    Motor should not be loose in box, Extra pieces of cardboard at corners and ends of box to prevent battering ram effect due to rough handling by carrier.

Large appliance cartons have gotten hard to come by…shredder junk main not so much

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by green-thumbs.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.