Home Forum Ask A Member Shock Absorber Welding?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

Have just experienced – again – a shock absorber helical spring break, which, in turn, ruined the drive shaft housing by severely warping it, I’m wondering if it is a good idea to weld a good absorber before the spring breaks? I have welded broken absorbers before but, for me, it’s difficult to get the pieces perfectly true. I always run a brass shear pin in place of the drive pin.
      Your thoughts?
      Thanks

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 5 1/2 n 7 1/2 Omc motors are not a high speed high power motors. That shaft just needs to be close to straight. I wouldn’t worry about it. Just tack it in a few spots and Giverthegas!

JMHO
        dale

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I fabricated a sleeve to go in the absorber in place of the spring and locked it in there with some High-Strength Locktite. That was several years ago and it is straight and hasn’t slipped yet. Hard part is getting both halves of the busted spring out. I’m thinking it would be easier to get out before it breaks.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by frankr.
          drifter
          Participant

Thanks for the tips.
            Frank, any tips on removing that pesky spring????

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Thanks for the tips.
              Frank, any tips on removing that pesky spring????

Matter of fact, I just came in from my shop. I have one of those absorbers “somewhere”, but can’t find it. My intention was to see how difficult it is to take one apart. I’ll report back, if I find one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.