Home Forum Ask A Member Should I buy a 3HP British Seagull Mark 1 Ignition

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you for the reply. I guess there is a bit of emotion involved. I am eager to get a high-quality, small motor that can withstand the salt. I live near an ocean inlet that is perfect for a square stern canoe with a 3HP motor. The Britsh Seagulls are suppose to be one of the best for tolerating that type of an environment. Its clear that this motor has not been used, but the seller is not claiming a running condition, and is saying that this was his grandfathers and he has no idea if it runs. I’ve been burned on a motor before, so now I am gun shy.

I love Great Britain and everything but the Sea Gulls are garbage. They have only one strong point. Most of the time, you can work on them with a pair of pliers, meaning they are crude as hell. In my experience, they are also far, FAR, LESS tolerant of salt water than any OMC product. They are also noisy as all get-out! I have been offered them for free, from time to time and I have not accepted. I would rather have an ESKA, than a Sea Gull. Sail boaters often call outboards “stink pots.” This is probably because a lot of sail boaters have Sea Gulls, I think!

Long live American manufacturing!

Honorcode
      Participant

Thank you BillW. You saved me from wasting $800 on a Seagull. The canoe can support up to 5HP, and salt is a concern. Given your feedback, I bought a 1939 Johnson LT39. There is a lot of history with this motor. It sold new for $105 in 1939, and this is almost $2,000 in 2020 dolars, so it was a high-end engine for the elite class. It is entirely made of aluminum, its the first year that Johnson did an aluminum crankcase. And this cut the weight, and improved its corrosion resistance. Its a twin cylinder 5 HP, and does use a rope start. The seller has a receipt from a mechanic that shows that it was tuned -up and inspected for smooth operation. It is extremely well preserved, no dents. I plan to polish the aluminum, and run the motor. I love that it is a useable antique.

I would like to buy an ELTO PAL and a Neptune to serve as lighter options for the canoe. Do you have any advice about those? Are there other motors that I shoud consider? I would like to get a pre WWII motor. Thank you.

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.