Home Forum Ask A Member Should I buy a 3HP British Seagull Mark 1 Ignition

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Honorcode
    Participant

Hi, My local paper has a barely used 1978 British Seagull 3 HP motor and the pictures look amazing, looks like new. The bad news is that it has the Mark 1 ignition. I have read good and bad reviews about this ignition, and I do not want to buy someone’s problems. The person selling it says that he got the motor from his grandpa, and it has not been run in 10+ years. He does not want to try to start it, and selling it as-is for $800. He feels that this is “fair.”

My fear is that the mark 1 ignition coil is said to degrade over time, and this motor is almost 30 years old. British Seagull has a Mark 2 and a Mark 3 (solid state) ignition and I hear the solid state is very reliable. I did an internet search and could not find any replacement parts for mark 1 coil / points.

Here are my questions: Can this motor be upgraded to use the Mark 3 ignition? Am I being too cautious about the Mark 1 ignition? I am asking because it seems like a rare find for a motor that is this old, and in such great cosmetic shape. Should I buy it, or walk away?

eltoquad
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

To start with, $800 is way over the top for that motor, in my opinion.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        cajuncook1
        Participant

To start with, $800 is way over the top for that motor, in my opinion.

I second your opinion regarding price. Way over priced. It would have to be in excellent condition and in good dependable running condition for that price.

Just my opinion.

PS…I do have link for mark ignition 1 , 2 , and 3 replacement parts somewhere. I’ll look for it when o get home today.

Honorcode
          Participant

Thank you for the reply. Let me ask this question a different way – should I not buy this motor because it uses a Mark 1 ignition? Is this type of ignition a problem? Is it possible to upgrade the mark 1 ignition to a mark3 ignition without any modifications to the motor? The looks great, but the seller says he will not test it for running condition. I want a british Seagull for a canoe to be used in the salt water bay areas. I understand that these are perfect for that application. Thank you.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not familiar with the British Seagulls…Are they still in business? I would be concerned about parts availability…..
              And yes, $800 seems high, but I have no basis to judge…

need2fish
              Participant

I agree $800 is kind of steep;I’ve seen a number of running Seagulls on kijiji for $4-5 hundred — mind you, my limit for any outboard is $ 125; over 135 purchases I’ve only blown it twice (A cherry Mark 30 and the cute little Sea King midget, yes there’ve been some dogs, but on the whole the remainder are transom-worthy).

If you wish to make an emotional decision, forget the price, just make sure you know the compression and do the water pump and ignition work. Compression problems are usually hard to fix — water pump and ignition less so, so counter-offer accordingly.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by need2fish.
                cajuncook1
                Participant

Thank you for the reply. Let me ask this question a different way – should I not buy this motor because it uses a Mark 1 ignition? Is this type of ignition a problem? Is it possible to upgrade the mark 1 ignition to a mark3 ignition without any modifications to the motor? The looks great, but the seller says he will not test it for running condition. I want a british Seagull for a canoe to be used in the salt water bay areas. I understand that these are perfect for that application. Thank you.

If the seller is not willing to demonstrate running condition, then there is trouble with the motor despite good cosmetic appearances. Villiers ignition is still available. A few years back that was not the case.

If I am not mistaken, you canupgrade the ignition to Mark II or III, but you will have to get a new ignition plate set up. It will include coils, points/condenser or power pack and sensor. Oh, a different flywheel. You are looking at potentially $200 to $225 worth of parts. The motor is already $800 in presumed non running condition.

New (not new old stock, but new) Mark I (Villiers) ignition parts can be obtained from this website.

http://www.villiersparts.co.uk/ignition.html

A website dedicated to British Seagulls is the site listed below.

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/

Production of the British Seagulls outboards ceased in the mid 1990s

Cheers,
                  Cajuncook1

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by cajuncook1.
                  amuller
                  Participant

If the price was $50 or so the discussion would be worthwhile.

Honorcode
                    Participant

Thank you for the reply. I guess there is a bit of emotion involved. I am eager to get a high-quality, small motor that can withstand the salt. I live near an ocean inlet that is perfect for a square stern canoe with a 3HP motor. The Britsh Seagulls are suppose to be one of the best for tolerating that type of an environment. Its clear that this motor has not been used, but the seller is not claiming a running condition, and is saying that this was his grandfathers and he has no idea if it runs. I’ve been burned on a motor before, so now I am gun shy.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.