Home Forum Ask A Member SIerra 18-5002 or 18-5006 are they identical

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    joecb
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My opinion… go for it —- You can’t do any harm. I’m sure that you will have spark and you and the motor will be happy

Come back and let us know how it worked out

Joe B

kirkp
      Participant

Did a quick google search and see where one parts house has 5002 for $17.45 and 5006 for $18.87. Not sure who’s listing a big price difference but this is minimal.

Another thought for you. Do you still have the original points for this motor? In my somewhat limited experience (but also heard said by others with a lot more experience than me) points typically don’t go bad and can be cleaned up. I’ve also read some posts about the crappy quality of the Sierra points. If you have them and they aren’t trashed, use them and go to a auto parts store and buy a auto condenser.

Just a thought and maybe one you’ve already dismissed if you don’t have the points.

Kirk

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

points in place look original meaning not recent….and working

I did burnish them i’ll go for 5002’s as required when I do the real test

it pains me to order some parts… from the US with shipping $$ = or > than parts alone 🙁

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

kirkp
          Participant

Ooops, didn’t pick up that you are up north. Have you looked at getting a condenser at a auto store?

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

i’ll checK local auto shop for condensers what cars used them ???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve D
              Participant

Re: Confusion….I always wondered what the difference was between the ’61 and ’62 and up 18 HP motors that would require them to use the higher capacity condensers…
                Condensers2-1

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Steve D.
                billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I had recently wondered the same thing about Fastwins. I did notice that the earlier Fastwins that called for the 580321, came originally with a thicker coil lamination stack, than the later ones. Why the later models would require a higher capacity condenser with a thinner lamination stack is way above my pay grade.

Long live American manufacturing!

joecb
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your are way over thinking this! … just about any condenser should work. However let’s try for a condenser that is in the range of .2 mf. From the reference charts that Frank but together here are some “auto Part” store numbers for Blue Streak and Echlin condensers that you may find helpful,
                    All this numbers are for caps in the range of .2 mf….

Blue Streak – DR60, DR90X, FD77, DR50, JC56
                    Eichlin – RR174, RR176, EP340, FA82, JP206, EP656
                    CARQUEST – 14803

Joe B

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The Echlin RR176 is the one I used in Bendix mags a lot, not to get even MORE off course. I don’t think it will mount well in an OMC universal mag, though, as it mounts on its side. In my opinion, the OMC 580321, 580422 and the 581419 (OR THEIR SIERRA EQUIVALENTS) will all work on the universal mag with no obvious problems. Let’s face it: The original coils, which the condensers were engineered to be paired with, are all long-gone, anyway. Who knows what exact condenser goes with the Chinese coils? If you run engines 24 hours a day or service emergency equipment, go by whatever number is the proper one. Otherwise, I don’t think it’s going to matter much. Again, my condenser saying, stolen from the Post Office: “If it fits, it ships.”

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by billw.
                      • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by billw.
                      kirkp
                      Participant

Where is this list to be found?
                        Thanks
                        Kirk

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.