Sorry to ask, researching coils for 1954 Evinrude 25hp

Home Forum Ask A Member Sorry to ask, researching coils for 1954 Evinrude 25hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Doug

Replies: 27
    Topics: 11

I have read till I am nauseous on what will fit what and it is all blurring. I am trying to figure out the best !! option for replacements or this 1954 style 25hp motor. Original part# 580118. I just want to know where to go for best replacements and I want to avoid anything made in china if possible.

I was so frustrated after hours of studyling and looking I typed 3x this much and deleted most all of it before posting. Shoot, nobody want to read all that.

I have found parts manuals for 3 different years and hp ratings in the mid 50’s including mine i’m working on and all 3 list a different part # coil, yet coils listed for sale places have compatibility listings that include every omc motor i got with the same coil !! Driving me insane as if this post does not indicate that 🙂 Somebody throw me a bone on this….. Please 🙂

I got a few I have had a long time but can always use a few more going into retirement.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

What you have is what is known as the OMC Universal Magneto, and yes it actually almost universal for many years since it’s introduction. That is why all your motors use the same replacement coils. But then we get to all the different part numbers. Yep, it is true, the coil went through a number of evolutionary changes through the years. Some of the changes brought a change in part numbers, some didn’t. Most of the changes involved different plastics used for the coverings. The latest changes involve a shell-type covering, as well as a different shape where the spark wire enters. To sum it up, all the newer numbers are compatible with previous models.

It would be hard for me to list a “best”. Easier would be to list a “worst” which would be the Sierra coils that don’t fit. As for where they are made, there are so many sellers, who knows where they are made? Probably one of the best aftermarket ones were made in Germany, but they are no longer made. As for the OEM coils, I don’t actually know where they are made now. Wherever, they might not be made much longer, with the last demise of OMC/BRP.

A wise sage said “You pays your money and you takes your chances”. Amen.

David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 571
    Topics: 24

Doug,

I personally like the BRP Coils, now that the Prufrex(German made) are no longer available. I stay away from the “bargain” Chinesium coils on ePay and other sites. I know others have had success with the cheap coils, but the fit is hit or miss at best.

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Doug

Replies: 27
    Topics: 11

Thanks for this clarification. I ordered 2 late version brp packaged coils and 2 older omc packaged coils for stock as I am just starting to work back through all my engines and get them all in ready condition again and since this is more universal than originally thought it is just good parts to have. I’m working through a 25 now, done a 1.5 mate last week, I have been playing with these engines off and on for 40 years, amazing how time flys. Gonna give the 1981/9.9 and 197915 a rest here for a while and kick it older school again. Worst part is I was younger and stronger when I hung some of them in the rafters….

I got a few I have had a long time but can always use a few more going into retirement.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Doug.

need2fish

Replies: 281
    Topics: 15

I stocked up on the OMC/Prufrex and Phelon coils about 15 years ago. Having worked as a consultant for Bombardier’s railcar division, I’ve seen how rapacious the company can be — when they cut Johnson down to 2 models, it was clear they were going to back out of the industry — the profit margin was higher elsewhere and it didn’t matter that they put out of work dedicated employees with 30+ years of service.

The Beaudoin-Bombardier family won’t be able to take it with them.

Ok — off the soapbox.

I’ve had mixed results with the Chinese knock-offs. The innards seem to be ok, but sometimes the armature plates and the coil cover need reshaping about 50% of the time. It seems they don’t have access to the original tooling specs and have based their product on a few old coils pulled from a wall-hanger.

My RD-15 & 17 are now in baskets because I got too old to a) pull-start them from a sitting position and b) the motors gained weight and became too heavy to pull out of the rafters. One got away from me as I was taking it down and I grabbed it as it was going down and promptly dislocated a shoulder and tore the rotator cuf.

I go as far as 18-hp these days.

78bluestreak

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 26
    Topics: 6

I have been looking for the manufacture of coils and trying to understand (when replacing coils) which coil I need. I would like to buy direct. I end up depending on a single resource per motor manufacture from this site. I see these coils for $20 plus dollars and end up paying $65 bucks from the resource on this site.. Is there a guide/manual to indicate which coils match a replacement? I would like to repair my motor for less and enjoy the fruits of labor more. Quality is important, but let me keep some money for other parts. any help out there?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.