Home Forum Ask A Member source for harness tubing?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

Anyone have a source for the black rubber tubing OMC used to cable up the battery cables and control harness? Or some other type of hose or tubing to use?

The one I measured is about 7/8" id with a wall thickness a bit over 1/16th.

Corrugated plastic loom like this is readily available but seems rather light duty and would not look original when that matters:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/trident … split-loom

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Have you checked out Shrink Tubing ? ?

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

bicycle inner tube.

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

Bass boaters use Nylabraid. It won’t look stock but it holds up well & looks good. You don’t have to use all of the kit stuff. You can just buy the plastic tubing. It expands & then you pull it down to size & tie it off on both ends. Impervious to gas, oil, & UV rays for a long time. Comes in colors, but most use black.

Dan in TN

billy-j
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Although not readily available what I used for my electric start 1956 Johnson 30 HP. was the outer rubber sheath of a 18 conductor industrial electric cable. It was rubber , black in color the right OD. diameter and about 1/16th wall thickness. I cut off a piece about 3 feet long and clamped the wires in a vice and pulled off the outer rubber sheath.You have to pull it off from the vice side as it acts like a Chinese finger if you pull from the other end. I got it from a metal recycling yard in their scrap wire pile. It was the perfect size.

Monte NZ
              Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Dave Bernard’s suggestion is well worth considering.
                I have been using it on my 1970 40hp Electric Start Evinrude for several years now and find it works fine and even better, it was free from the local bike shop!

Monte NZ

dmbono
                Participant

Brillman Company sells asphaltic woven loom in several sizes.

chris-p
                  Participant

I have used large diameter heat shrink tubing off ebay a few times. Worked well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Φ40mm-Soft-Hea … 2749.l2649

Or braided sleeve such as this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Braided-Sleevi … 1438.l2649

amuller
                    Participant

Thanks for many good suggestions on this. Responses questions:

Would not heat shrink create a very stiff cable?
                      Is the braided sleeve linked above similar to or the same as "nylabraid?"
                      Hydraulic shops sell protective hose sleeves for use on backhoes, etc. They are ugly but very durable. Anybody used this?
                      Bike inner tube seems the closest to the factory stuff.
                      On my last big motor I used washing machine or dishwasher drain hose. The corrugated stuff, not the heavy black stuff. Used it because I had it around but doubtful that it’s sunlight resistant.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.