Home Forum Ask A Member Spaghetti seal for ‘67 Evinrude Fastwin ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ironhorse2022
    Participant

Hello everyone,

First post and looking forward to getting to know this forum.  I recently picked up a 67 Fastwin and have started disassembling it to see what I have. So far so good – compression is 110/108 and the ignition and fuel seem to be completely rebuilt (as promised by the PO).  The lower unit is apart now and the gears/other bits appear to be in pretty good shape.  I’ve ordered a new water pump as well as seals for all the shafts from Crowley.  First question is whether there are more highly recommended suppliers than Crowley ?  Second question is where to order the spaghetti seal from since they don’t offer it.  I see them on Amazon but would prefer a known-good rubber compound from a reputable supplier.  Also, I’m planning to coat this seal as well as all bolts with permatex aviation sealer since the OMC version does not seem to be available right now.  Any input appreciated.  Thanks

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

vintgaeoutboard.com  sells  GC   seal kits …give them a call  they may sell just spaghetti seal if you have the rest

I purchased it by the foot locally  years ago … it comes in diff. diameters  and compound

try  bearing/seal shops

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve D
        Participant

Also someone recently mentioned Laings Outboard as having the seal kits and comes with the spaghetti seal.

http://www.laingsoutboards.com

laings

Ironhorse2022
          Participant

Thanks to you both.  Wish I’d found VO and Laings (and a few other sites listed in the resource section of this site) before I ordered piece-meal from Crowley.  Will give them a try – much appreciated.  Any feedback on installing the seal dry vs with the aviation goop ?  I also plan to use the same loctite in each of the bolt holes since they are inboard of the spaghetti seal.

Ironhorse2022
            Participant

A quick follow up…. Just talked to a very nice guy at Laings who did agree to sell just the spaghetti seal to me.  I was impressed with them and will be calling them next time I need some parts.  Thanks for the tip.

bobw
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You’ve already found what you needed but for future reference, here’s some other sources.  You can buy the spaghetti seal by the foot from McMaster Carr, 3/32″ width, their product number 9407K11.  Here’s the link:

https://www.mcmaster.com/buna-n-rubber-seals/oil-resistant-buna-n-o-ring-cord-stock-7/

You can find a complete gearcase seal kit listing on Marine Engine.  Once you get the correct seal kit number from the list, you can buy from them or check other sources.   It pays to shop around on some of these kits.  Here’s the link to their listing:

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/sierra-marine/quick-list/johnson-evinrude-sierra-gearcase-seal-kit.html

Marine Engine also has similar listings for water pump kits, carburetor kits, tune-up kits, etc.   Welcome to the forum!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by bobw.
                Ironhorse2022
                Participant

Thanks Bob. I appreciate it.

Boonie
                  Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hey iron horse I have the same question. Dry or aviation goop? Welcome to the forum. The guys on here are great!

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see book…

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Ironhorse2022
                      Participant

Thanks Crosbyman.  Do I understand correctly that along with membership comes the ability to view the entire service manual ?  That is definitely a value.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.