Home Forum Ask A Member Spark Plug wire Johnson RDE-19 1957 35hp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Down through the years, I have found that if you buy cheap wire, you may get—cheap wire. Look at the construction of a piece of Belden wire. This is tough stuff. I don’t claim to know the chemical composition, but there are two layers of insulation with woven fiberglass strands between them. It Does make a difference in our stuff where the wires rub every time we move the throttle. It Does make a difference where they are smooshed by the clamps under the armature plate.

picture host

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member

Unless the original spark plug wires are cracked in two or have been eaten by mice, etc. I leave them be. It will be tough to find a replacement wire as good as the original. I even go so far as to save old mag plates off parts motors [from the 50s] so I will have good replacement wire when I need some.

Mumbles
        Participant

The wire from Amazon has two layers of insulation but no braiding like the better quality wire.

It doesn’t like rubbing on a flywheel for more than a few seconds either.

Attachments:

vintin
          Participant

I seem to have an ignition problem so I’ll be pulling the flywheel in a few days and plan on having replacement condensers, coils and wires on hand. I do plan or replacing the condensers but maybe not the wires if they look good. They do look to be original. Thanks for all of the input fellows and keep it coming!

dougs-outboards
            Participant

spool Hypalon 100′ 7mm wire #18-5226

25′ wire with 30 wire connectors (10, 10, 10), only 10 for the modern outboards, (50-60’s) and 10 and 10 of the older than that Johnson and Ev’s #18-5225

Sierra brand, order from Napa.

Mumbles
              Participant
                quote Dougs Outboards:

spool Hypalon 100′ 7mm wire #18-5226

$434 to $876 per 100′ roll??? 😯

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-18-5226-Jo … B0077PPQZA

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ … dition=new

Attachments:

chris-p
                Participant

Its metallic core Mumbles, but the "metal" is gold instead of copper lol.

vintin
                  Participant

I’ve got all of my parts and am working on this motor today.

A question?

How does the moving mag plate get a good ground?

I’m considering running a separate ground wire to the mag plate.

jerry-ahrens
                    Participant

US Member

I assume you are working on an OMC ? Just clean everything up and go with it. The mag grounds through the bushing where it pivots on the powerhead.

vintin
                      Participant

Yes, OMC.

Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.