Home Forum Ask A Member Speedifour ignition conversion

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    melugin
    Participant

US Member

I can’t find my index which Art Dekalb made several years ago. I need to find the “Outboarder” article by Jon Wiggins on conversion to a battery powered ignition for the Speedifour. I did this in the early nineties using 750 Honda coils and the motor ran fine. Even pulled Dr. Wiggins on skiis at the national meet in Wenona with 16′ DuraCraft and same Speedifour. Getting difficult to pull over motors, and with the conversion it was a slight tug. I have magazines, parts, motors and boats. Just need to find the whole story to put it all together again.

melugin
      Participant

US Member

Found the article, 7-88, p. 20.

wmohat
        Participant

US Member

Melugin: WHY do you want to do a “conversion”? If you have the magnets in your flywheel up to full strength, a good coil and condenser and the points set correctly, most older outboards can generate spark with just “a slight tug”, as you have described. At the Western Reserve chapter of AOMCI, we are currently studying this. We have some 1925-vintage outboards that can give you a nasty shock at as little as 30 RPM, which is BARELY turning over.

I know of at least one guy that “converted” an old ignition system, and wound up regretting it. (The tiny batteries he used to power the replacement CDI ignition system will run the engine for barely an hour. And, the motor isn’t “stock” anymore; something to consider if “original condition” means anything to you.)

–wmohat

***********************************************************************
          Bill Mohat MS/CIS, BSEET, CCNA

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." --Ayn Rand **********************************************

melugin
          Participant

US Member

With my former motor, I could reach over my back while sitting facing forward and start the motor with a slight tug. This is at idle setting with my right hand holding on to the dock. I powered it with a 12 volt mower battery. Removed the coils from the mag plate, gives less drag and more power. No permanent modifications and I have at least four of these motors. Modifications are not visible except for two small wires. I am 30 years older and rope starting a reluctant big motor is beyond my abilities. I have tried. I do manually start everything else, including late models and have trouble sleeping on a sore shoulder from only a few starts. Electric starters are for folks who can’t tune.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.