Home Forum Ask A Member Stator lead identification problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

I have run into an issue with a replacement stator that I purchased from CDI.

The yellow, yellow/grey leads are usually labeled to figure out which terminals to connect to the rectifier appropriately. Well, both leads off this stator are yellow, and this is new out of the box.

Is there a way to figure out which one is supposed to be connected to the yellow/grey, other than just chancing it by connecting everything, starting the motor, and seeing if the battery is charging?

If this is connected in reverse, can this cause damage to components?

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s alternating current at that point, so don’t think it makes a darn bit of difference. Apparently it doesn’t make a difference to CDI, either. In fact, I always wondered why one usually has the gray tracer, other than to remind a person that the tach, does, in fact, connect to one of them. I am sure the others will chime in with their input, too.

Long live American manufacturing!

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

Bill is correct. CDI doesn’t add the extra tracer stripe on their yellow leads. Just hook em up and go. I would suggest keeping all packaging and instruction sheets, in case of the need for warranty… you may need them.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

X3. It doesn’t make any difference. Except on some motors with voltage regulators where the regulator cutting in and out can cause erratic tachometer readings.

johnyrude200
            Participant

Thanks guys hope each of your summers have been filled with pleasant boating!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.