Home Forum Ask A Member Stevens Ignition Tester Assistance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hi folks, I’m trying to resurrect a Stevens ignition tester. I can’t confirm the model number, I believe it’s the one just before the ST-75. There’s a setting and adjustment for “coil index”. Could someone tell me what that function does? Or does someone have a manual they can scan for this (or even the ST-75)?

Thanks,

Tom

seakaye12
      Participant

Hi Tom,

Maybe these two PDF’s can help you a bit.

Chuck

Tom
        Participant

Chuck,

Thanks for those!

T

seakaye12
          Participant

Tom, Here are some pics of my MA-75. The tube is a 12L6GT. The vibrator in mine looks like it may have been replaced at some point. Not sure. I have read that they can be taken apart and their points can be cleaned; similar to breaker points. Lots of times old tired vibrators can be brought back by doing that.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Stevens-MA-75_1a

Stevens-MA75_2a

MA-75-Stevens_4

MA-75-Stevens_5

MA-75-Stevens_6

Tom
            Participant

Chuck,

Many thanks for your help with this. The photos you post match the one I’m working on. The vacuum tube description didn’t seem to match its application, but I ordered a new one and I’ll see what happens. The old one had shards of broken glass it in, so I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it isn’t functional. My tube tester is so old I don’t have specs on the 12L6GT.

The vibrator tube actually worked, it’s a different part than the one in your system. I’ve taken many of these apart, cleaned the points, and set the frequency. It always amazes me how hard those points are and how much work it takes to clean them up.

The only cap I had to replace was the wax one on the big rotary switch. Now just waiting for the vacuum tube…

T

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.